The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

What have you learned this year?

I have learned to call the obvious and do not let them unsporting behavior of bench personnel get the best of me on my face.

What about you this deep into the HS/college season?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 04:19pm
Stubborn Member

Ignore the coaches.

If they have a question that they have to have answered they'll get my attention eventually. Otherwise I don't want to hear it, and if I do then I'll tag em.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Ignore the coaches.

If they have a question that they have to have answered they'll get my attention eventually. Otherwise I don't want to hear it, and if I do then I'll tag em.
I've learned the opposite - be more approachable to coaches. It has improved my court demeanor significantly. I've found that being more patient and approachable, and even just chatting briefly about the game during dead balls when I'm near the coach has had a very positive affect on my games.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I've learned the opposite - be more approachable to coaches. It has improved my court demeanor significantly. I've found that being more patient and approachable, and even just chatting briefly about the game during dead balls when I'm near the coach has had a very positive affect on my games.
This

I have, on a few occasions, chatted with a coach. It may be answering a question or it may be just "remembering the olden days". They only last a couple of seconds but it makes you more "human" to them and not just a shirt and whistle.

A good example is a varsity boys game recently. I called a foul on Red 44 and after giving the preliminary call at the spot he said "Yep, got him on the follow through." Apparently the coach heard him and after I reported the foul and get into position as T he asks "Remember when we had to raise our hand when a foul was called?" I chuckled and said "Yep, and I remember getting bird-dogged as well." As he turned he said "The times, they have changed. We're getting old."

Thinking back...darn, he was out of his box...shoulda whacked him.

Just last night in a sub-varsity boys game we had a player getting frustrated. The guy he was charged with covering was only about 4 inches taller and considerable faster. As we were lining up to shoot free-throws I stood next to him and as I "wiped the ball off" on my pants I said to him "Settle down...it's just a basketball game". His teammate on the other side of the lane heard and said "Yea dude...just do the best you can." He was fine after that.

At least for me, talking can...when you pick you spots...go a long way and can keep the game moving.

Last edited by BatteryPowered; Wed Jan 27, 2016 at 05:06pm.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 05:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
He actually did not say anything about being less approachable. He said to ignore coaches and often coaches are not asking questions, they are making statements or trying to get a response to things that you cannot win on either way.

I also feel being "approachable" means different things to different people. Some officials feel like they have to respond to coaches about everything and that can be very detracting to the ultimate job and that is to call fouls.

If I have learned anything, just walk away when the conversation is not going anywhere. Better to walk away then keep debating something they are not going to see it your way or agree with your explanation.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I learned that this is a part time gig, and sometimes coaches/kids/parents react/act like this is our full time job. Do your best but always keep priorities straight. Family-job-refreeing, in that order.

I also learned that I need to lose 15-20 lbs.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 05:35pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He actually did not say anything about being less approachable. He said to ignore coaches and often coaches are not asking questions, they are making statements or trying to get a response to things that you cannot win on either way.

I also feel being "approachable" means different things to different people. Some officials feel like they have to respond to coaches about everything and that can be very detracting to the ultimate job and that is to call fouls.

If I have learned anything, just walk away when the conversation is not going anywhere. Better to walk away then keep debating something they are not going to see it your way or agree with your explanation.

Peace
Perhaps the word "ignore" is a little harsh, but J gets what I'm saying.

I've worked hard this season at managing the coaches, and that oftentimes means ignoring them unless necessary. That doesn't mean their questions or concerns are ignored, it means anything other than a question/concern is ignored. More often than not they're just blowing off steam, and the more I pay attention to such things the more problems I have to deal with.

And when I said they'd eventually get my attention, it means I'm not going to stop or hold up the game to speak with them. What I may do is wait until I'm close to him and free to talk, then I'll say something like "I heard what you were asking before, I just needed to wait until I got a chance to address you... yada, yada, yada". By doing that I'm not only avoiding any type of hold-up to the game, but the coach may get enough time to cool off over a call he may not have agreed with.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely agree on the whole "be more approachable to coaches" thing. I used to get bent out of shape when a coach questioned me. Sometimes, they really didn't see what was happening and they're truly just asking. I called a foul once in a tight game and on the way down the court the coach asked me what his player did. I kind of snapped a reply at him and he was like "Whoa, I'm just asking because I didn't see the play!" I felt kinda bad.

I've learned that it's okay to admit you missed a call, whether it's to a coach, player, or your partner. I missed the most obvious travel in VHSL history a few weeks ago, coach was upset. Next dead ball I happened to be right next to him at trail and I just said "Coach, I missed that one." He appreciated it.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Remember who was fouled prior to the technical foul

Twice, I awared technical fouls to players for reactions to foul calls they disagreed with. After reporting the personal foul and then the technical foul, I could not recall which player was fouled. Fortunately, my partners remembered.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

I learned not to tell a kid sitting on the bench to shut up, no matter how much he deserves it. Just whack him.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

I learned…just last night, in fact…to always carry a spare set of contact lenses in my bag.

It turns out soft contact lenses can tear. Who knew?

There were eight eyes on the court last night and I had four of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I've learned how to let plays develop more, which has cut down on some of the unnecessary fouls I've called earlier in my career. I've also learned how to be a better Lead (in two man), getting wider along the end line so that I'm not sprinting out to the corner when the ball is swung that way...I'm already there.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 01:01am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It turns out soft contact lenses can tear. Who knew?

I did but you didn't ask me. As somebody that has worn them for years, I always make sure to bring extras. I've even managed to blink both of them out of my eyes when I was wrestling in a match back in school. Always carry spares.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Ignore the coaches.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
My normal personality Bryan is not ignoring people. Trusting people and its thinking people have reasonable expectations. It is kinda making me cynical and wanting to do exactly what you say. Ignore the coaches. Last night BJV his kids struggled on a layup or two and as lead they missed and the defense let them. He is asking me up the court wasnt there a foul. I said NO.

When coaches ask about plays 80 feet away I lose respect. Dont really want to talk to them any more..
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Been working on this side too. Sometimes I just dont have the patience for it.