Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
Ok so I would say the conclusion of this would be that the procedure on which we handle subs at the Table during a timeout needs to change. We (our chapter) always brought the subs in then reported the timeout. But even though they were there before the timeout doesn't matter, it would still fall under the timeout substitution rule. They don't need to be beckoned. And since they are at the Table there is no need to check in again before the first horn because being There they already checked themselves in.
But if it was not a timeout situation or intermission like in the case play example the beckoning is what would make them a legal player.

Am I correct in saying that?
If you beckon the player he has the RIGHT to enter without being penalized. However, he does not become a "player" until he actually steps inside the boundary. If the coach changes his mind after you beckon but before he steps inside the boundary he can be withdrawn and same players stay on court.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 05:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
If you beckon the player he has the RIGHT to enter without being penalized. However, he does not become a "player" until he actually steps inside the boundary. If the coach changes his mind after you beckon but before he steps inside the boundary he can be withdrawn and same players stay on court.
More than that, I'd say that even after he steps on the court, he can be withdrawn since we have no way of verifying or enforcing whom he was meant to replace.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
More than that, I'd say that even after he steps on the court, he can be withdrawn since we have no way of verifying or enforcing whom he was meant to replace.
I think technically, when A6 enters, he is a player and somebody else isn't. We would be justified in saying somebody else is going off.

As a practical matter, if the kid steps on and coach changes mind right away, I'm not going to demand somebody else go off...
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 06:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I think technically, when A6 enters, he is a player and somebody else isn't. We would be justified in saying somebody else is going off.

As a practical matter, if the kid steps on and coach changes mind right away, I'm not going to demand somebody else go off...
What if the kid gets half way to the cluster of players lining up for a spot throw-in on the end line and coach calls him back? I don't see any way to demand someone come off. No one exited, so no one has to "sit a tick."

Until someone actually exits the court, I'm not convinced there's anything to enforce.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if the kid gets half way to the cluster of players lining up for a spot throw-in on the end line and coach calls him back? I don't see any way to demand someone come off. No one exited, so no one has to "sit a tick."

Until someone actually exits the court, I'm not convinced there's anything to enforce.
We have the rule that says the sub becomes a player when he legally enters and the other person becomes bench personnel at that moment. True we don't know who he intended to go in for but we know he IS a player now. We also have the case play above which talks about 3 subs going in and not reporting who they r going in for. Fight starts among original players on court. Play says assume those involved were bench personnel if we can't figure out who specifically they were coming in for. 3.3.1 f.

I think if he comes all way to the end line throw I would make somebody else come off. Tell coach to choose. I do think that is what rule requires.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 06:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
We have the rule that says the sub becomes a player when he legally enters and the other person becomes bench personnel at that moment. True we don't know who he intended to go in for but we know he IS a player now. We also have the case play above which talks about 3 subs going in and not reporting who they r going in for. Fight starts among original players on court. Play says assume those involved were bench personnel if we can't figure out who specifically they were coming in for. 3.3.1 f.

I think if he comes all way to the end line throw I would make somebody else come off. Tell coach to choose. I do think that is what rule requires.
I disagree, and if I was the coach, I'd tell you to pick a player if you pushed it. If the other coach whines, I'd simply tell him since no player left the court, there's no one for whom we can enforce 3-3-4. I think anything more is just looking for trouble where we don't need to.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree, and if I was the coach, I'd tell you to pick a player if you pushed it. If the other coach whines, I'd simply tell him since no player left the court, there's no one for whom we can enforce 3-3-4. I think anything more is just looking for trouble where we don't need to.
I'd pick your best player. Frankly, I'd ask the kid who he was coming in for. If he and table didn't know I'd ask the coach and tell him when the sub entered he became a player. one of the 5 became a sub. You pick. I'm not worried about anybody whining. I don't think it would be a big deal for him to follow through on his original plan.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think this has been said before, but just grant the TO and let the subs work themselves out during the TO.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I think this has been said before, but just grant the TO and let the subs work themselves out during the TO.
Adam and I were discussing regular substitution. Timeout wasn't involved in what we were talking about.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 08:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'd pick your best player. Frankly, I'd ask the kid who he was coming in for. If he and table didn't know I'd ask the coach and tell him when the sub entered he became a player. one of the 5 became a sub. You pick. I'm not worried about anybody whining. I don't think it would be a big deal for him to follow through on his original plan.
Things may have changed enough he doesn't want to. I can't see a way to force it.

I'm looking at it this way. If he refuses top identify which player was to be subbed out, and A6 follows his coach's lead, are you prepared to follow through with a technical foul? I don't mind Ts, and I don't mind the paper work that comes with them, but this would be a tough sell around here.

You might be right, the coach would likely comply, so my guideline is theoretical.

Even if he complied, then took the time to complain to my assigner, I think I'd lose that battle.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm now a passenger in a car w my 16 year old daughter. I will get back to you later....if I'm still alive...
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm now a passenger in a car w my 16 year old daughter. I will get back to you later....if I'm still alive...
So ... wouldn't you have liked to leave even after you had been beckoned into and entered the car?
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So ... wouldn't you have liked to leave even after you had been beckoned into and entered the car?
Absolutely!...my daughter also would have liked me to leave. She doesn't appreciate the free driving lessons I offer...constantly...,
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 09:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Mine is 15. I don't want to hear any of your stories.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mine is 15. I don't want to hear any of your stories.
Buy plenty of insurance....get a stress test to be sure your heart can handle it...

Almost forgot most important thing...when it comes time to practice parking....send her w mom or grandparents....

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Jan 25, 2016 at 09:52pm.
Closed Thread