Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Oregon State player trips official, ejected

Oregon State player trips referee - ESPN Video
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'm friends with that official's son. He's the one who told me this happened.

That was about the dumbest thing that OSU player could possibly have done. In a tie game? Seriously?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

That's an easy ejection. Suspend him too. Multiple games for that crap.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:25pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
That was about the dumbest thing that OSU player could possibly have done. In a tie game? Seriously?
I have to ask, what difference does the score make in something like this?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

From Oregon State coach Wayne Tinkle: "I will have to review and discuss the entire play with Jarmal. Obviously we don't EVER want to shed a negative light on our program or university, or conduct ourselves in any manner other than first class, on or off the court."

Utah rallies for win after Oregon State player trips referee

Oregon State forward Jarmal Reid tripped a referee and was ejected with 2:56 remaining, starting Utah's rally that led to a 59-53 victory Sunday night.

ESPN @espn

Jarmal Reid of Oregon State was given a flagrant 2 and ejected from the game for an apparent tripping of the ref: es.pn/1Orfw0F
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I have to ask, what difference does the score make in something like this?
Because if the team is down by 20 when he gets upset thinking that he was just fouled and does something stupid, it only hurts him. He will get ejected and likely suspended. However, if the score is close, he is also hurting his team as it impacts their chance of winning. That was the point of the previous poster.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Because if the team is down by 20 when he gets upset thinking that he was just fouled and does something stupid, it only hurts him. He will get ejected and likely suspended. However, if the score is close, he is also hurting his team as it impacts their chance of winning. That was the point of the previous poster.
Nailed it.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:37pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I understood the point. I just don't happen to agree. The apparent fact that he is selfish and a poor teammate doesn't make this conduct any more or less heinous in my opinion.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understood the point. I just don't happen to agree. The apparent fact that he is selfish and a poor teammate doesn't make this conduct any more or less heinous in my opinion.
I agree with that. I was merely pointing out the sheer stupidity of the offender.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:53pm
AremRed

Tommy Nunez has seen some shit this year. I watched him ref a WNBA game two person after a ref pulled a hammy. Dee Kantner was there and Tommy motioned over that she should throw on her stuff but she didn't.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently it was his 5th foul anyway...but did they end up going with a flagrant 2? The video I saw didn't go long enough.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:00am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Apparently it was his 5th foul anyway...but did they end up going with a flagrant 2? The video I saw didn't go long enough.
They did, that is why the player went to the locker room instead of being able to sit on the bench.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you don't agree then you don't understand the point. His team is going to be 10x more pissed at him for causing a shift in momentum(reducing their chance at winning) then they are for him acting like an idiot in a 20 point game. It is more idiotic to trip an official in a tie game compared to a game you have no chance at winning. This has nothing to do with it being more or less ethical.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:45am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
If you don't agree then you don't understand the point. His team is going to be 10x more pissed at him for causing a shift in momentum(reducing their chance at winning) then they are for him acting like an idiot in a 20 point game. It is more idiotic to trip an official in a tie game compared to a game you have no chance at winning. This has nothing to do with it being more or less ethical.
It actually is possible to both understand the point and disagree with it. And you. I understand his team will be "10x more pissed." I just don't care what his team thinks. Not sure why I should.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand his team will be "10x more pissed."
Hence there is a difference based on the score of the game. Whether you care or not is irrelevant. They had a scene about this sort of thing in Inside Out.