The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Oregon State player trips official, ejected (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100708-oregon-state-player-trips-official-ejected.html)

bballref3966 Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:43pm

Oregon State player trips official, ejected

Oregon State player trips referee - ESPN Video

RedAndWhiteRef Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:10pm

I'm friends with that official's son. He's the one who told me this happened.

That was about the dumbest thing that OSU player could possibly have done. In a tie game? Seriously?

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:24pm

That's an easy ejection. Suspend him too. Multiple games for that crap.

Maineac Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef (Post 976953)
That was about the dumbest thing that OSU player could possibly have done. In a tie game? Seriously?

I have to ask, what difference does the score make in something like this?

Nevadaref Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:29pm

From Oregon State coach Wayne Tinkle: "I will have to review and discuss the entire play with Jarmal. Obviously we don't EVER want to shed a negative light on our program or university, or conduct ourselves in any manner other than first class, on or off the court."

Utah rallies for win after Oregon State player trips referee

Oregon State forward Jarmal Reid tripped a referee and was ejected with 2:56 remaining, starting Utah's rally that led to a 59-53 victory Sunday night.
http://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/...Dx8_normal.png
ESPN @espn

Jarmal Reid of Oregon State was given a flagrant 2 and ejected from the game for an apparent tripping of the ref: es.pn/1Orfw0F

Nevadaref Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineac (Post 976957)
I have to ask, what difference does the score make in something like this?

Because if the team is down by 20 when he gets upset thinking that he was just fouled and does something stupid, it only hurts him. He will get ejected and likely suspended. However, if the score is close, he is also hurting his team as it impacts their chance of winning. That was the point of the previous poster.

RedAndWhiteRef Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 976961)
Because if the team is down by 20 when he gets upset thinking that he was just fouled and does something stupid, it only hurts him. He will get ejected and likely suspended. However, if the score is close, he is also hurting his team as it impacts their chance of winning. That was the point of the previous poster.

Nailed it.

Maineac Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 976961)

I understood the point. I just don't happen to agree. The apparent fact that he is selfish and a poor teammate doesn't make this conduct any more or less heinous in my opinion.

RedAndWhiteRef Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineac (Post 976965)
I understood the point. I just don't happen to agree. The apparent fact that he is selfish and a poor teammate doesn't make this conduct any more or less heinous in my opinion.

I agree with that. I was merely pointing out the sheer stupidity of the offender.

AremRed Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:53pm

Tommy Nunez has seen some shit this year. I watched him ref a WNBA game two person after a ref pulled a hammy. Dee Kantner was there and Tommy motioned over that she should throw on her stuff but she didn't. :D

bas2456 Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:58pm

Apparently it was his 5th foul anyway...but did they end up going with a flagrant 2? The video I saw didn't go long enough.

AremRed Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 976978)
Apparently it was his 5th foul anyway...but did they end up going with a flagrant 2? The video I saw didn't go long enough.

They did, that is why the player went to the locker room instead of being able to sit on the bench.

Dad Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineac (Post 976965)

If you don't agree then you don't understand the point. His team is going to be 10x more pissed at him for causing a shift in momentum(reducing their chance at winning) then they are for him acting like an idiot in a 20 point game. It is more idiotic to trip an official in a tie game compared to a game you have no chance at winning. This has nothing to do with it being more or less ethical.

Maineac Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 976989)
If you don't agree then you don't understand the point. His team is going to be 10x more pissed at him for causing a shift in momentum(reducing their chance at winning) then they are for him acting like an idiot in a 20 point game. It is more idiotic to trip an official in a tie game compared to a game you have no chance at winning. This has nothing to do with it being more or less ethical.

It actually is possible to both understand the point and disagree with it. And you. I understand his team will be "10x more pissed." I just don't care what his team thinks. Not sure why I should.

Dad Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineac (Post 976991)
I understand his team will be "10x more pissed."

Hence there is a difference based on the score of the game. Whether you care or not is irrelevant. They had a scene about this sort of thing in Inside Out.