The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:58am
Do not give a damn!!

If he is a key player, it does not matter what the score is because he is going to be lost for a few games at the very least. It was a tie game and he will be lost for some time and for his sake hope it is not lose for a much longer time. The school might take action as well. He embarrassed the school as much as anything.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 08:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I have to ask, what difference does the score make in something like this?
For the same reason the Cincinnati Bengals penalties were in the news.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

One of these days I'm going to be able to complete a NCAA bracket with my alma mater (Oregon State), but it may not be this year /sigh...

So I watched the second half. About less than 6 minutes to play in that game we had a series of 3 fouls go against us within 1-2 trips down the court. One of those plays the kid who tripped the ref, Reid, flopped on the play (no call) and then while on the ground caused another Utah player to trip and a block was called on him. Both the non-call and the blocking calls were good ones IMO

I think Nunez was the official with the no call and then the block on Reid, IIRC. Then a trip or two down the court later the whole tripping incident occurred. Reid was probably frustrated at the prior blocking foul on him.

Reading my twitter post-game stuff related to OSU the media folks were of course saying from the HC the player had no idea the ref was there and didn't know what he did to earn the T (BS). Same ol stuff we deal with on our end.

We lost that game because we went ice cold the last 6-7 minutes of the game. I thought maybe one or two could have gone our way, but the bulk of the calls against us and the no-calls on our end were the right call.

Stupid thing Reid did and what pisses me off even more is he claims ignorance as to why he earned the T or what his actions were...just man up and admit your responsibility and deal with whatever consequences come up...
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quick question here:

Was it a T? Is NCAAm different from NFHS in that a T can only happen during dead ball situations? Am I splitting hairs? Just curious on that ruling and what I would do in that situation.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Quick question here:

Was it a T? Is NCAAm different from NFHS in that a T can only happen during dead ball situations? Am I splitting hairs? Just curious on that ruling and what I would do in that situation.
Yes it was a T. You are not correct when you say you can only have a T during a dead ball. You can only have dead ball contact be a T in NF and that is not what this was called for. This was unsporting behavior. The basic rule is the same in NCAA as it is for NF rules. The only issue is the FF2 or just a Flagrant Foul when speaking between the two codes.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes it was a T. You are not correct when you say you can only have a T during a dead ball. You can only have dead ball contact be a T in NF and that is not what this was called for. This was unsporting behavior. The basic rule is the same in NCAA as it is for NF rules. The only issue is the FF2 or just a Flagrant Foul when speaking between the two codes.

Peace
Gotcha. I spaced on the unsporting behavior aspect. Good call.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 05:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Four Games ...

Oregon St suspends Reid minimum 4 games for tripping ref
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 05:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

4 games, with a potential for more depending on his behavior during that suspension. They should have tacked on another game for the "what did I do" BS, though.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
4 games, with a potential for more depending on his behavior during that suspension. They should have tacked on another game for the "what did I do" BS, though.

I think they already did. I think it was 3 for the trip and 1 for the "what did I do" BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone catch the lady in the front row looking for a traveling call as Reid fell down with the ball??
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 08:15pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I think he got off light. I'm surprised the conference didn't insist on a harsher suspension to set an example.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Mon Jan 18, 2016 at 08:17pm.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
One of these days I'm going to be able to complete a NCAA bracket with my alma mater (Oregon State), but it may not be this year /sigh...
I hear you....we need another Ralph Miller.....

Reid really blew it big time. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behavior. One of the videos shows his eyes clearly tracking the official right before he sticks his leg out to trip him. Absolutely no question he earned the T & ejection - he should consider himself very lucky he only got a 4 game suspension, although from the announcement it is 4 games minimum, so it could potentially be longer.

Just heard on the news that he has apologized, so maye he got the message.....guess we'll see if/when he gets back on the court.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 09:38am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Anyone catch the lady in the front row looking for a traveling call as Reid fell down with the ball??

Ok, I admit, I laughed at this post and the thought of this

Oh wait, I thought the lady wanted a travel in the ref falling with the ball. Never mind, I'm spacey today
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I hear you....we need another Ralph Miller.....

Reid really blew it big time. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behavior. One of the videos shows his eyes clearly tracking the official right before he sticks his leg out to trip him. Absolutely no question he earned the T & ejection - he should consider himself very lucky he only got a 4 game suspension, although from the announcement it is 4 games minimum, so it could potentially be longer.

Just heard on the news that he has apologized, so maye he got the message.....guess we'll see if/when he gets back on the court.
Saw a tweet from him late at night that night, apparently (not a verified account) that was less than apologetic.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Darn dirty beavers.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!