The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 08:08am
High Five Master

I may be new here and my opinion not respected yet but here is my two bits worth: rules are meant to be enforced in spirit of fair play-across all levels, be it K-1st graders all the way to the NBA. At no time are the rules intended to put one team at a disadvantage when they have an available legal sub. Fouled out player has been DQ'd so just lose that argument. The splint isn't legal nor is the undershirt, until those are fixed. But why would you try to keep a team from not having five, unless you deem it an attempt to be unsporting by the player/coach? Sometimes we gotta realize it's a game and fair play i.e. Sportsmanship is paramount to all our success
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 08:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I may be new here and my opinion not respected yet but here is my two bits worth: rules are meant to be enforced in spirit of fair play-across all levels, be it K-1st graders all the way to the NBA. At no time are the rules intended to put one team at a disadvantage when they have an available legal sub. Fouled out player has been DQ'd so just lose that argument. The splint isn't legal nor is the undershirt, until those are fixed. But why would you try to keep a team from not having five, unless you deem it an attempt to be unsporting by the player/coach? Sometimes we gotta realize it's a game and fair play i.e. Sportsmanship is paramount to all our success
How long you've been posting has no bearing on your opinion being respected. A sound argument, with rules based support and/or common sense, is all that is needed.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Had one of these 2 summers ago and evaluator told us we kicked it and we hadn't even noticed until we looked at tape after.

Coach subs out A1 for A6. We are about to shoot free throws but have to deal with an injured B3 three (trainers, getting her off the floor, mopping, etc). B1 shoots both but there is a violation on A during the second free throw miss, so we shoot again. B1 makes the 2nd free throw and there is a sub for shooter waiting as well as a sub for A. We wave them both in. As it turns out the sub was A1 coming back in for someone else.

No idea if A6 took out wrong sub or if there was a message to be relayed or what. Regardless myself nor my partner had kept our eye no the prize on that one. Luckily that was the only real concern our monitor had.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Coach subs out A1 for A6. We are about to shoot free throws but have to deal with an injured B3 three (trainers, getting her off the floor, mopping, etc). B1 shoots both but there is a violation on A during the second free throw miss, so we shoot again. B1 makes the 2nd free throw and there is a sub for shooter waiting as well as a sub for A. We wave them both in. As it turns out the sub was A1 coming back in for someone else.

No idea if A6 took out wrong sub or if there was a message to be relayed or what. Regardless myself nor my partner had kept our eye no the prize on that one. Luckily that was the only real concern our monitor had.
This is confusing, but here in America we wouldn't have allowed the A1 for A6 sub until before the 2nd free throw. Why did you bring subs in while there was an injured player being attended to? If you wait to bring subs in until before the last free throw, this scenario is less likely to even happen, let alone getting you into the issue where the subbed out player doesn't come back until after clock runs.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
This is confusing, but here in America we wouldn't have allowed the A1 for A6 sub until before the 2nd free throw. Why did you bring subs in while there was an injured player being attended to? If you wait to bring subs in until before the last free throw, this scenario is less likely to even happen, let alone getting you into the issue where the subbed out player doesn't come back until after clock runs.
Great point. Was using FIBA rules subs happen before free throws are attempted and after if the shooting team has at least 1 player waiting at the table.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Substitutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post

I agree 100%. This is HS basketball, and the NFHS has openly stated that in the interest of maximizing participation, cases like these should be erred on the side of having five players on the floor if five are available (available being the key word). Having illegal gear on or being DQ'd makes one unavailable, but I'm sure the intent of the rule was never to make a team play with four when a sub is only guilty of having been substituted for when bench depth unexpectedly became zero.

MTD's case play is solid. And yes, we like to make fun of Mary sometimes, but in truth she wasn't the devil some make her out to be. She was also the NCAAW editor, you know.

You can't plant your flag as the supreme guardian of rules interpretation in this forum but then turn around and claim the writers of the rules and case plays are full of $hi+. That's hypocritical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sat Jan 16, 2016 at 07:32am.