The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Administering Tech and Common FTs

This happened in a BV game I was watching last night. A1 commits a common foul and it's the team's seventh. He says something to the ref and gets whacked. First they shot the 1-and-1, then the technicals, then gave B the ball at the division line.

First thing: Had the common foul been the team's ninth, with the T being the 10th, would they still have shot the 1-and-1, or would it have been two shots for the common foul since A now had 10?

Second thing: It just seems weird to me that a team would get four shots and the ball. I don't have my rulebook handy and this was one of my association's better crews, so I'm sure they got it right, but it still seemed odd to me. Is this rule different in high school than it is in college? So many times I've seen the technicals shot first, then the original free throws and then play resumes from there.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
This happened in a BV game I was watching last night. A1 commits a common foul and it's the team's seventh. He says something to the ref and gets whacked. First they shot the 1-and-1, then the technicals, then gave B the ball at the division line.

First thing: Had the common foul been the team's ninth, with the T being the 10th, would they still have shot the 1-and-1, or would it have been two shots for the common foul since A now had 10?

Second thing: It just seems weird to me that a team would get four shots and the ball. I don't have my rulebook handy and this was one of my association's better crews, so I'm sure they got it right, but it still seemed odd to me. Is this rule different in high school than it is in college? So many times I've seen the technicals shot first, then the original free throws and then play resumes from there.
HS and college are different for Ts. What you're seeing in college games is correct, but the same thing in HS is going to be the order in which it happened.

That should answer you first question. 9th foul happened first so shoot the 1&1 and then administer the T in high school
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have my book in front of me so I can't point you to a rule number. In Fed ball we're awarding throws in the order received. The B player fouled will shoot 1 and 1 with the lane cleared as there is no rebounding action. Then a player designated by B coach will shoot the 2 TF throws. Then the ball will be inbounded by B midcourt opposite table. Sounds like they handled it by the book.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Yes, the rule is different between HS and college, so don't base it on what you see in UVA and NCSU games. The crew administered the play correctly.

You penalize in order, and the order in this case of 8 teams fouls prior to the fouls, would be to penalize the common foul as the 9th team foul. The T is a separate foul, it gets penalized separately and is the 10th team foul.

And even in college, where the T would be shot first, the original foul is still the 9th team foul and A1 would only shoot 1-and-1.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 13, 2016 at 03:52pm.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Second thing: It just seems weird to me that a team would get four shots and the ball

A good reason for A1 to keep his mouth shut
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 04:00pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Don't have my book in front of me so I can't point you to a rule number...
8-6-2 and 8.6.2B give a partial answer to your question regarding order.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Second thing: It just seems weird to me that a team would get four shots and the ball.
Well then, imagine if his coach had popped off too and gotten whacked. Then it would have been SIX shots AND the ball.

Crew got it right.