The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

...in a two-person game:

(a) Where are you standing? I was taught not to be on the free throw line extended, but a little bit behind that, so as not to distract the shooter. A coach got on me tonight for not being on the line, as my partner had done on an earlier free throw.

(b) do you signal the number of shots upcoming with a hand down and at your hip (the off-hand, away from the shooter)? You then have to pick up the 10-count when the shooter has the ball, so do you use the same hand? So on the free throw attempt that will make the ball live again, do you raise the other arm? I think I have that right.

(c) I'm supposed to see if the shooter fouls (either during the shot, or if they step or jump over the line on the followthrough) and if the ball doesn't hit rim. Are you guys able to do both? If the ball gets up there in a hurry and the player follows through, I'm going to have a hard time checking to make sure they don't foul and whether or not the ball misses everything (which is my call, too). I think I missed one of each tonight, first looking for one and then looking for the other after being yelled at by the same coach for missing the shooter landing over the line (I know it's only a big deal if the free throw is made - if it's missed, no call).

Just curious. I'm having trouble with that aspect of the game lately.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
...in a two-person game:

(a) Where are you standing? I was taught not to be on the free throw line extended, but a little bit behind that, so as not to distract the shooter. A coach got on me tonight for not being on the line, as my partner had done on an earlier free throw.
I've never had a coach say something like this. Anyway, Two or three person, you stand a little behind the line extended.

Quote:
[i]
(b) do you signal the number of shots upcoming with a hand down and at your hip (the off-hand, away from the shooter)? You then have to pick up the 10-count when the shooter has the ball, so do you use the same hand? So on the free throw attempt that will make the ball live again, do you raise the other arm? I think I have that right.
[/B]
Signal chest high with hand closest to table. The 10 count with the hand away from shooter, down to the side.

Quote:
[i]
(c) I'm supposed to see if the shooter fouls (either during the shot, or if they step or jump over the line on the followthrough) and if the ball doesn't hit rim. Are you guys able to do both? If the ball gets up there in a hurry and the player follows through, I'm going to have a hard time checking to make sure they don't foul and whether or not the ball misses everything (which is my call, too). I think I missed one of each tonight, first looking for one and then looking for the other after being yelled at by the same coach for missing the shooter landing over the line (I know it's only a big deal if the free throw is made - if it's missed, no call).
[/B]
Just get a wide angle view and only call the obvious.

Just curious. I'm having trouble with that aspect of the game lately. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 10:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
...in a two-person game:

Coaches have no business getting into mechanics. This would get stopped quickly -- one way or another.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 10:37pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
...in a two-person game:

Just curious. I'm having trouble with that aspect of the game lately.
OverAndBack,
Don't worry it'll come easier and easier. The more games you work, the more you absorb in the same time frame (ie. the games s-l-o-w-s down)

(a) Midway between lane and side line, two steps behind FT extended.
(b) All my movement is with table side wing.
  • 1. Signal number of shots for a coupla seconds, until shooter gets the ball
  • 2. Wrist flick until shooter releases the ball (In Women's ball you don't show a visible count here)
  • 3. Arm straight-up on release
    (c) As my arm goes up on the release I side-step straight toward the end line with my eyes on the shooter and the players across the lane.

mick

Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 06:35am
    Official Forum Member

I do the same way as Mick. BTW, the coach has absolutely no business telling you where to stand. You take a position where you can see everything that happens.
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 08:58am
    Official Forum Member

Do all hand motions, counts, and arm up (as shooter releases the ball) with the SAME arm, the one nearest the division line. If a coach thinks it's his business where you stand, let him know it'll soon be your business where he SITS.
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 09:27am
    Official Forum Member

On the first of 2 throws, be sure to see if any subs are ready to report. If there are, bring them before the last throw.
    Once final shot is released, step down towards endline and look for rebounding fouls.

Mregor
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 09:40am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    (In Women's ball you don't show a visible count here

[/B]
    Mick, this is the first time i've heard no visible count. Is this in the CCA Manual?
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 10:18am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by Bart Tyson
    Quote:
    Mick, this is the first time i've heard no visible count. Is this in the CCA Manual? [/B]
    Clinic thing from GLIAC (DII), Bart.
    Heck, not supposed to get to 10 anyway, so why give a coach or fan any ammunition?
    mick
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 10:25am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Mick, this is the first time i've heard no visible count. Is this in the CCA Manual?
    Heck, not supposed to get to 10 anyway, so why give a coach or fan any ammunition?
    mick [/B]
    I've only seen it once, and that was a highlight on espn at a KU game.
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 10:33am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Quote:
    Quote:
    mick
    I've only seen it once, and that was a highlight on espn at a KU game. [/B]
    If you look at the CCA Manual, you'll see the "absence" of any 10 count signal, I think.
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 11:18am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    If you look at the CCA Manual, you'll see the "absence" of any 10 count signal, I think. [/B]
    Mick, I will be riding to a game today, I'll check it out and let you know.
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:07pm
    Official Forum Member

I agree with all that's been said.

However, in situation (c) you mentioned that "it's only a big deal if the free throw is made - if it's missed, no call." This is not right. Only call the lane violation on the shooter if it is obvious. You'll know. Then, hit it right away. It's automatically no point and second throw or other team's ball if it was the second throw. Why should they get a shot at an offensive board when the shooter violated?

Call it.
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:45pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by footlocker
    I agree with all that's been said.

However, in situation (c) you mentioned that "it's only a big deal if the free throw is made - if it's missed, no call." This is not right. Only call the lane violation on the shooter if it is obvious. You'll know. Then, hit it right away. It's automatically no point and second throw or other team's ball if it was the second throw. Why should they get a shot at an offensive board when the shooter violated?

Call it.
    If you delay your whistle on an obvious shooter (or shooter's team) violation, it will appear that you are possibly "out of sync" with the game or "playing favorites." Get the call when it happens!
    Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 02:03pm
    Official Forum Member

Okay, makes sense.

Learning every day!
    "And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.