The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

One of terms they want to eliminate is "sieve." I know what the term means, can picture my grandpa yelling "This damn thing is leaking like a sieve!" in response to a crappy radiator they had. But not sure I get this one, I don't know if I'm too old to understand why this is a relevant term to chant, or perhaps too young. Anyone know what they'd be chanting that in response to?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
One of terms they want to eliminate is "sieve." I know what the term means, can picture my grandpa yelling "This damn thing is leaking like a sieve!" in response to a crappy radiator they had. But not sure I get this one, I don't know if I'm too old to understand why this is a relevant term to chant, or perhaps too young. Anyone know what they'd be chanting that in response to?

Said to the opponent's goalie
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Wondering if officials in Wisconsin have received any directives on these new "sportsmanship" rules.

Jimmy Carlton's Blogs: WIAA rules seek to curb student chants such as "air ball" and "scoreboard"
What a joke!!!!! Just another step in the wussification process that is sweeping this country.

Are kids and their parents so soft that when they get called out by a student section their fragile egos are affected for life?

I hope the kids ignore this and keep the chants alive!
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
Said to the opponent's goalie
Ah ha! Thank you
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
What a joke!!!!! Just another step in the wussification process that is sweeping this country.

Are kids and their parents so soft that when they get called out by a student section their fragile egos are affected for life?

This!!!

Now...if they wanted to pass such an rule/guideline to stop girls from yelling "BALL...BALL...BALL...BALL..." all the time around here I am behind them 100%. I often want to say "Yep...a big orange one." to them when they start.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:03pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post

I had a mom stand up in stands last night and yell at the student section. Home mangmt went to student section and had them all move to end of gym nearest their bench , it was the home teams fans. This was a JH boys game. And the kids were just being kids, nothing unsporting etc. I thought it very silly. This mom was probably 40 and she couldn't take it? Very very silly.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Let's just say that if my daughter posted a tweet like the one that started this whole thing that her relationship with social media would change until she was no longer living in my house.

I also want to mention that there is nothing new about these directions. The WIAA has sent out a sportsmanship reminder like this to schools' athletic directors since the late 1990s.

Because one school sent the memo to a student-athlete who then decided to post the memo on Twitter along with encouragement for the WIAA to consume bovine excrement -- that's why it's getting all this press. And why the player got suspended.

For me, it's the language, I have to admit. And I'm someone who isn't all that wound up about people using swear words in general. But saying "EAT SH-T WIAA" in a tweet is over the top. I couldn't get away with saying that and wouldn't want to. And yet that tweet is still up, days later. Perhaps if there was even a shred of remorse on the part of the player (she gave a sorry-but-not-sorry apology and left the tweet up) none of this would've been blown out of proportion by *everyone.*

We got a rope. We got a tree. All we need is a referee.
Yup yup yup, to all of the above.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I had a mom stand up in stands last night and yell at the student section. Home mangmt went to student section and had them all move to end of gym nearest their bench , it was the home teams fans. This was a JH boys game. And the kids were just being kids, nothing unsporting etc. I thought it very silly. This mom was probably 40 and she couldn't take it? Very very silly.

I wish I had a cool signature

After they get all the teachers, coaches and fans to be positive - we're next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Why was this even sent to the Student-Athletes? The WIAA changes are way over the top.As long as nothing said is personal or derogatory why do we care? The suspension is warranted in my mind for the language used in the tweet.If she wanted to say the WIAA changes are stupid/ridiculous that's fine but she's gotta learn profane tweets have consequences.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Back in the day when opposing cheerleaders took the floor we'd chant
1,2,3,4 get the cattle off the floor and start mooing at them....

Good clean harmless fun......
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post

You honestly think that was harmless?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

That's disgusting.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

absolutely not-At my school we would put a stop to that-home or away.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You honestly think that was harmless?
I have the same reaction to things like "sieve" or "A rope, a tree, ..." It's directed to a specific person and is intended to be demeaning (or even a threat). It has no place in high school sports.

"Start the bus up.", "Scoreboard", "C'mon stupid, hit the wall" - those don't bother me in nearly the same way. Although the last one does call a specific player stupid, so I may have to rethink that one.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 07:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I have the same reaction to things like "sieve" or "A rope, a tree, ..." It's directed to a specific person and is intended to be demeaning (or even a threat). It has no place in high school sports.

"Start the bus up.", "Scoreboard", "C'mon stupid, hit the wall" - those don't bother me in nearly the same way. Although the last one does call a specific player stupid, so I may have to rethink that one.
Some of that stuff is fine for heckling adult baseball players ("sieve" in particular). I really don't have much of a problem with "sieve", it's at least performance related.

The cheerleader heckling, though, bothers me as a parent (teenage daughter)more than anything.

I remember one of the guys on my high school basketball team "moo'd" at the cheerleaders (at a pep rally no less) and the whole team got to run extra in the next practice.