Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And where in this thread, or the story from Wisconsin, did anybody suggest such a perspective? You made an asinine stereotype of leagues such as Upward, the participants, and their parents when those leagues have nothing to do with this story.
Not once did I specifically mention Upward or anything like it. This discussion went from supposedly unsportsmanlike chants to the PC crowd to not keeping score, etc. etc. Lots of different things touched on in this discussion.

Somewhere along the line, the topic of not keeping score came up. I commented on it as I don't believe in that. Somebody else that has a son that participates in Upward got bent out of shape and put words in my mouth.

Lighten up!
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 10:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Not once did I specifically mention Upward or anything like it. This discussion went from supposedly unsportsmanlike chants to the PC crowd to not keeping score, etc. etc. Lots of different things touched on in this discussion.

Somewhere along the line, the topic of not keeping score came up. I commented on it as I don't believe in that. Somebody else that has a son that participates in Upward got bent out of shape and put words in my mouth.

Lighten up!
I quoted exactly what you posted. You're the one ranting and foaming at the mouth about the wussification of America or whatever.

You need to lighten up Francis. If you can't handle the responses to your juvenile proclamations then maybe you need to worry about the wussification happening in your mirror.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 14, 2016 at 10:57am.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I quoted exactly what you posted. You're the one ranting and foaming at the mouth about the wussification of America or whatever.

You need to lighten up Francis. If you can't handle the responses to your juvenile proclamations then maybe you need to worry about the wussification happening in your mirror.
Like.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not the one that mentioned the Upward league. Somebody else did. That person took what I was saying and applied it to the Upward league. I was talking about sports and life in general. Not a specific league.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Lighten up!
Youre broad statement was definitely in the ballpark of Upward and leagues like it.

You got caught making a jackass post and now you're attempting, albeit horribly, to back-peddle. If you want people to stop being "wimpy" at the very least don't wimp out with comments like, "Lighten up!"
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Keep it on topic, fellas.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Youre broad statement was definitely in the ballpark of Upward and leagues like it.

You got caught making a jackass post and now you're attempting, albeit horribly, to back-peddle. If you want people to stop being "wimpy" at the very least don't wimp out with comments like, "Lighten up!"
At the risk of getting off topic AGAIN, I didn't bring up Upward until a dad brought it up. Once it was brought up, I agreed that those leagues have their place. I said that REGULAR sports leagues are not keeping scores and having winners and losers. Reading comprehension!!!!!

I'm not back peddling as I didn't say anything wrong or degrade a particular league or player. Sorry to offend anybody as that was not my intention.

Now back to officiating discussion.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm not the one that mentioned the Upward league. Somebody else did. That person took what I was saying and applied it to the Upward league. I was talking about sports and life in general. Not a specific league.

Really? Altor posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I have the same reaction to things like "sieve" or "A rope, a tree, ..." It's directed to a specific person and is intended to be demeaning (or even a threat). It has no place in high school sports.

"Start the bus up.", "Scoreboard", "C'mon stupid, hit the wall" - those don't bother me in nearly the same way. Although the last one does call a specific player stupid, so I may have to rethink that one.
Your response was this:

Quote:
So you have a problem with a group of kids calling a goalie a "sieve"? When you are letting a lot of goals get past you, you are indeed a "sieve".

I don't know where some of you soft wimps come from, but it seems like your kind is taking over the world. We can't say anything that even one person might interpret as demeaning. You pick on a kid for one second and you are a bully guilty of bullying. There are already plenty of leagues/sports for youth that don't keep score because Little Johnny or Little Sally might get beat and have their ego ruined for life.
People in this world need to relax, grow a thicker skin, and learn to ignore other people. I'm so tired of the "offended" crowd screaming to get their way.
That bolded part refers to leagues like Upward, which I (not somebody) brought up. I can see why you don't call T's on coaches since you do not have the integrity to acknowledge what said that is right here in black and white.

The Wisconsin issue has nothing to do with non-scholastic leagues that don't keep score or care who wins. You just felt the need to be a jerk and lump it all in together.