Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Kids do that stuff to each other in life, in athletics, in study hall. I honestly don't think this stuff bothers 99% of kids. It's the 1% and the wimpy parents that get all bent out of shape about it.

If we are going to teach sportsmanship and make it a priority, lets start at the college and pro level. Tons of trash talking and rubbing it in the face of your opponent. I don't mind at all, but if we are worried about ridding sports of that stuff, let's start there. Kids see it on TV and think that is the way to go about it.
We aren't talking about in life or in study hall. We aren't talking about sportsmanship at the college or pro level. The WIAA represents interscholastic athletics in Wisconsin. That's who they are concerned about, and rightfully so.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
We aren't talking about in life or in study hall. We aren't talking about sportsmanship at the college or pro level. The WIAA represents interscholastic athletics in Wisconsin. That's who they are concerned about, and rightfully so.
I do agree with this statement, but I also hope that they put this in the hands of the administrators of the particular schools.

This to me could all be done without making it public in a news article.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

And that's exactly what they do. The policy is non-binding and they leave it to the member schools to enforce. The school sent its athletes some of the WIAA's information. An athlete got upset about it and told the WIAA where to go with it. The school suspended her.

There is nothing to see here.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 02:22pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
There is nothing to see here.
But it makes good fodder for Daily Internet Outrage.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do agree with this statement, but I also hope that they put this in the hands of the administrators of the particular schools.

This to me could all be done without making it public in a news article.

Peace
My goodness.

The original was an email sent to ADs.

An AD mistakenly forwarded it to student athletes.

The student athlete posted it on Twitter along with profanity.

It was never *intended* to be public.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My youngest played in one of those leagues (Upward). He has Asperger's and is not mentally focused enough to participate in competitive sports.

I guess the existence of my son and that league offends an accomplished athlete and official such as yourself.
Did I say that I was offended or that leagues that cater to individuals like your son shouldn't exist? Oh, I didn't? Glad we got that straightened out.

I was speaking in general about sports leagues, leagues that don't cater to individuals like your son, that don't keep score because they don't want winners and losers. Life has winners and losers and I believe in teaching that right away.

Upward is fine for you and your son and it has its place. I just don't agree with telling our children that everybody wins and that everybody is equal in a regular sports league.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Plenty of studies having to do with this subject. Had you said 1% you would've been closer.
So you believe that some innocent chants being done by students are having long term negative effects on kids?

I'm not talking about the ones that go over the line and refer to somebody as fat or some other physical features. I'm talking about calling somebody a "sieve" or other good natured chants.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you believe that some innocent chants being done by students are having long term negative effects on kids?

I'm not talking about the ones that go over the line and refer to somebody as fat or some other physical features. I'm talking about calling somebody a "sieve" or other good natured chants.
Not at all during sporting events. You brought life and study hall into it and I wasn't sure why. I've never heard a chant ever that made me think for a second that an AD needed to deal with it.

In fact, the worst chants I've heard were directed at officials and they just made me laugh.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...I just don't agree with telling our children that everybody wins and that everybody is equal in a regular sports league.
And where in this thread, or the story from Wisconsin, did anybody suggest such a perspective? You made an asinine stereotype of leagues such as Upward, the participants, and their parents when those leagues have nothing to do with this story.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 13, 2016 at 04:02pm.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My goodness.

The original was an email sent to ADs.

An AD mistakenly forwarded it to student athletes.

The student athlete posted it on Twitter along with profanity.

It was never *intended* to be public.
And this upsets you?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 04:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And this upsets you?

Peace

You posted that it was made public in a news article. I explained that it wasn't.

Officials have nothing to do with what was sent out nor in the enforcement of anything.

For the record, I'm fine with the suspension.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 04:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You posted that it was made public in a news article. I explained that it wasn't.

Officials have nothing to do with what was sent out nor in the enforcement of anything.

For the record, I'm fine with the suspension.
It was made public in the news article.

I also was asking if they would have the officials involved in this, never said that is what the article said. And I was hoping that this issue never came to us in Illinois in this manner. Well if they only keep this with the administrators, but someone is going to get the bright idea and put us in this situation.

And if you mean the kid responding, that is a separate issue. I never even commented about that situation. I think you need to take that fight up with someone else.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Jan 13, 2016 at 04:57pm.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 06:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Guys - do you think this rule is also intended to cover signs held by fans at the games? Sometimes signs can be somewhat offensive. Of course, sometimes they can be funny. I remember years ago I was watching a UCLA - USC game on television and a UCLA fan in the gym was holding up a sign that said, "FLUSH USED TROJANS". When they showed in on TV, even the announcers were laughing.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Jay Bilas royally trolls Wisconsin’s decision to ban chants at high school games | USA Today High School Sports | USA Today High School Sports

I like some of Jay's new chants. Maybe this thread can be steered in this direction
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Not at all during sporting events. You brought life and study hall into it and I wasn't sure why. I've never heard a chant ever that made me think for a second that an AD needed to deal with it.

In fact, the worst chants I've heard were directed at officials and they just made me laugh.
That was my point exactly!!!!!!!

Unless somebody is mooing at cheerleaders or threatening somebody, the chants that are done at games are harmless in my opinion. They are not bad sportsmanship. It is just a bunch of kids being kids and having some fun. It's the PC crowd trying to take over again and I think it's a non issue..........most of the time.

Thanks for the discussion!
Closed Thread