The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Wisconsin Changes

Winter Sports Impacted by Board Actions > Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association

Curious to hear what those of us in Wisconsin think about the switch to two halves and a longer game (on the varsity level only)
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 11:13am
TODO: creative title here

MN has been doing 18-minute halves since I started officiating basketball.

I personally like it; but if they wanted to go back to quarters I wouldn't really care.

I've heard objections basically raised on two fronts:
1) 4 extra minutes of game time with out a corresponding increase in officials pay. (meh, whatever). Easily solved by either raising officials pay (hahahaha) or going to 16-minute halves.
2) Coaches like having the "free" timeout between quarters. Could be remedied, if necessary, by either declaring an officials timeout following the first whistle after the halfway mark of the half, or by granting each team an extra timeout with the stipulation that at least one 'use it or lose it' timeout per team per half.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
MN has been doing 18-minute halves since I started officiating basketball.

I personally like it; but if they wanted to go back to quarters I wouldn't really care.

I've heard objections basically raised on two fronts:
1) 4 extra minutes of game time with out a corresponding increase in officials pay. (meh, whatever). Easily solved by either raising officials pay (hahahaha) or going to 16-minute halves.
2) Coaches like having the "free" timeout between quarters. Could be remedied, if necessary, by either declaring an officials timeout following the first whistle after the halfway mark of the half, or by granting each team an extra timeout with the stipulation that at least one 'use it or lose it' timeout per team per half.
Would you really want two extra time-outs per game and a game that's 4 minutes longer? Because you know every coach would make sure to use the "use it or lose it" TO, even if they're down 50.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yet another state that will do something their own way at the expense of giving up any potential seat on the NFHS rules committee. Small price to pay if you feel like what you're doing is right for your state.

The timing of this decision, however, is curious. Considering the NCAA women's rules committee just decided to revert to playing the game in quarters. It is interesting that there is nothing even close to consensus on this issue among the various levels of play.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Yet another state that will do something their own way at the expense of giving up any potential seat on the NFHS rules committee. Small price to pay if you feel like what you're doing is right for your state.

The timing of this decision, however, is curious. Considering the NCAA women's rules committee just decided to revert to playing the game in quarters. It is interesting that there is nothing even close to consensus on this issue among the various levels of play.
I thought the same thing about NCAA-W when I read this.

I've heard the explanation for why the women went to quarters, what is the driving motivation for Wisconsin to switch to halves? To me this just seems like change for the sake of change, with no real purpose.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I thought the same thing about NCAA-W when I read this.

I've heard the explanation for why the women went to quarters, what is the driving motivation for Wisconsin to switch to halves? To me this just seems like change for the sake of change, with no real purpose.
Okay, scratch my question. The purpose was to increase the game time to 18 minute halves.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 02:04pm
Official Fiveum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Don't you have "TV timeouts"?
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, scratch my question. The purpose was to increase the game time to 18 minute halves.
Why is that even an issue?

Just permit 1-2 more games per season if they want more total playing time. That way, they don't have to muck with the game rules.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 06:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, It Works For Hockey ???

Quote:
To me this just seems like change for the sake of change, with no real purpose.
How about three fifteen-minute periods. To make extra money, the home team can sell advertising on the Zamboni.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 07:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Personally, I love it. Name one thing about this that is negative from an official's standpoint OTHER than playing 4 extra minutes per game.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why is that even an issue?

Just permit 1-2 more games per season if they want more total playing time. That way, they don't have to muck with the game rules.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you. As I said, it seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Personally, I love it. Name one thing about this that is negative from an official's standpoint OTHER than playing 4 extra minutes per game.
From an officiating perspective, I like it too. Mostly just because we essentially get rid of two timeouts. I just don't see any benefit to the game in general, and thus no reason for the state to make this change.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Playing quarters instead of halves in basketball at any level has never made sense. At least in the NBA, they have certain foul rules tied to the quarters. The presence of quarters means the game is harder to play and officiate. There are 4 potential last second shots to rule on, and 4 times to "play" for the last shot. The latter interrupts the normal flow of the game. Plus, in a game with either a good flow or a wide margin, there's likely no need for what would be the 3rd quarter TO.

I have had a game where we've had 3 buzzer beater shots. I think we got them all right, but at least 2 of them might have gone to replay if we were in a college game.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And what would be wrong with 9 minute quarters? Are odd numbers just not cool?

However, I agree that from an officiating perspective, halves aren't too bad. But something tells me that WIAA didn't have officials in mind when making the change.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 11:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Eliminating quarters gets rid of two last second shots and two AP throw ins (not a big deal granted).

I don't see a big deal in changing...well except NCAA women just went to quarters, so much for greater consistency.