View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Let's just say that if my daughter posted a tweet like the one that started this whole thing that her relationship with social media would change until she was no longer living in my house.

I also want to mention that there is nothing new about these directions. The WIAA has sent out a sportsmanship reminder like this to schools' athletic directors since the late 1990s.

Because one school sent the memo to a student-athlete who then decided to post the memo on Twitter along with encouragement for the WIAA to consume bovine excrement -- that's why it's getting all this press. And why the player got suspended.

For me, it's the language, I have to admit. And I'm someone who isn't all that wound up about people using swear words in general. But saying "EAT SH-T WIAA" in a tweet is over the top. I couldn't get away with saying that and wouldn't want to. And yet that tweet is still up, days later. Perhaps if there was even a shred of remorse on the part of the player (she gave a sorry-but-not-sorry apology and left the tweet up) none of this would've been blown out of proportion by *everyone.*

We got a rope. We got a tree. All we need is a referee.
Yup yup yup, to all of the above.