The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 04:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Of course. But so many people will address the signals and the rest of the garnish and not spend enough time on whether the call was correct and, if not, why.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 04:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Of course. But so many people will address the signals and the rest of the garnish and not spend enough time on whether the call was correct and, if not, why.
Yes, because unless we have replay we can only address the call so many ways. I have been a clinician for years and I rarely ever address the call other than to ask the official, "What did you see?" When they give me the answer, I am looking for their explanation more than if they got the play right. I am looking for why they came to that conclusion. I might have been standing in a position that did not see the play as they did. I find nothing wrong with discussing the overall procedure when I can see what they signaled, but might not know if they actually got the call right. Video review IMO is the best way to start evaluating calls. And in most situation that is not practical at the time. Again, just an opinion.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 06:38pm
High Five Master

Ironic issue around these parts is that the clinicians all make it a big point during training and camps but then you rarely see the veterans doing it when you go to watch them in games. I prefer the premium signal on calls that aren't just plainly obvious when I'm watching. When I'm calling, I try to do it all calls so I can make a habit of it. To me, it lends credibility to the call but I understand that some don't believe that way. I would say NFHS cares though, since it is part of the four bullet points to calling a foul.

Btw, Go Chiefs!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 08:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Was talking with my partner last night about preliminary signaling. We were observed last night and one of the points brought up was that we need to do more of it. The powers that be where I'm from have made preliminary signaling a big deal. I've gotten better at it but obviously still not 100%.

Anyway, he does some JUCO basketball, and he said that they want NO preliminary signals. Is that consistent with your experience at that level or higher? What's the reasoning behind it?

I ask merely out of curiosity.
Blocks/charges only is what NCAA-M wants.

I follow that for both college and HS.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Jan 09, 2016 at 08:18pm.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 09:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Preliminary Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That's not what a preliminary signal is.
If I have to wait for my partner to get to the reporting area and report the foul to the table for me to find out whether it's a shooting foul, or a non-shooting foul, that's certainly a bad preliminary signal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

It's a reasonably big deal here in HS to give the preliminary signal at the spot of the foul.

In NCAAW, only if needed (which usually means block /charge).
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 10:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If I have to wait for my partner to get to the reporting area and report the foul to the table for me to find out whether it's a shooting foul, or a non-shooting foul, that's certainly a bad preliminary signal.
Preliminary signal is showing the type of foul at the spot. Stating the number of free throws or the throw-in spot is part of ALL foul calling procedures.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Stating the number of free throws or the throw-in spot is part of ALL foul calling procedures.
I only do high school, but I've had multiple NCAA-M officials (one of whom has done Division I) tell me the "two shots" indicator at the spot isn't even necessary on "plays where it's obvious to everyone in the gym we'll be shooting."
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 12:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I only do high school, but I've had multiple NCAA-M officials (one of whom has done Division I) tell me the "two shots" indicator at the spot isn't even necessary on "plays where it's obvious to everyone in the gym we'll be shooting."
I don't see how. If you do not tell anyone, it is possible that people might assume the wrong thing and be surprised when you are going to the line. Not everything you think is obvious to you is obvious to everyone.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 12:34am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's a reasonably big deal here in HS to give the preliminary signal at the spot of the foul.
Same here, except maybe the "reasonably" part. It's all about communication, and as Billy said, it helps your partner know what exactly you had.

Besides, without preliminary signals, we're denied THE MOMENT, when the home crowd is cheering your fist in the air, because they don't yet know the hand is about to go behind your neck.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I don't see how. If you do not tell anyone, it is possible that people might assume the wrong thing and be surprised when you are going to the line. Not everything you think is obvious to you is obvious to everyone.

Peace
I always will give the number of shots or the location of the in-bound. Advice to not give this really doesn't make any sense. Even if "every one in the gym" knows it is a shooting foul, your partner might not because he might be watching a competitive matchup in his area and might not have seen the foul.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Same here, except maybe the "reasonably" part. It's all about communication, and as Billy said, it helps your partner know what exactly you had.

Besides, without preliminary signals, we're denied THE MOMENT, when the home crowd is cheering your fist in the air, because they don't yet know the hand is about to go behind your neck.
I give a preliminary on all block / charge fouls, and will punch all team control and player control fouls so it is obvious when we are going the other way.

I'll give an occasional prelim signal at the spot for an off-ball foul, but other than that I don't give a preliminary signals.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 02:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I give a preliminary on all block / charge fouls, and will punch all team control and player control fouls so it is obvious when we are going the other way.
Exactly!!!

Peace
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 09:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Nobody said anything about not giving preliminary signals on *some* fouls, to include block/charge plays.

It's just the ones where the foul is a hit or hold or push or hand check....
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 01:11pm
Stubborn Member

Besides charge/block/team control calls, I don't give preliminary signals unless it's necessary.

Like... say A1 is trying for a layup, and B1 goes up with him. While both players are in the air B1 commits a foul due to his body going into A1... instead of for illegal contact with the hand(s)/arm(s). I will give a push signal to let the defender, and others, know right away it was not involving the hands, so as to avoid the coach or player saying something like "he/I blocked that shot cleanly".

Most of the time I have a fist in the air, and then I'll put fingers in the air for free throws, or point to the spot of the throw-in. That way, by the time I'm finished reporting, we're ready to get the game moving again.