The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

Like... say A1 is trying for a layup, and B1 goes up with him. While both players are in the air B1 commits a foul due to his body going into A1... instead of for illegal contact with the hand(s)/arm(s). I will give a push signal to let the defender, and others, know right away it was not involving the hands, so as to avoid the coach or player saying something like "he/I blocked that shot cleanly".
Doesn't matter if the signal happens at the spot or not on this type of foul. Players and coaches aren't looking for a signal. They're incredulous no matter what when this happens...at least that's my experience.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 01:19pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Doesn't matter if the signal happens at the spot or not on this type of foul. Players and coaches aren't looking for a signal. They're incredulous no matter what when this happens...at least that's my experience.
LOL. I actually thought about that after I posted. I get those looks/questions anyway. So, in conclusion, I don't know why I bother signaling that push foul.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
LOL. I actually thought about that after I posted. I get those looks/questions anyway. So, in conclusion, I don't know why I bother signaling that push foul.
To give the coach ample time to rev up his mouth so you can shut him up for the rest of the game.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If I have to wait for my partner to get to the reporting area and report the foul to the table for me to find out whether it's a shooting foul, or a non-shooting foul, that's certainly a bad preliminary signal.

Signalling the shots or the spot should be included in all fouls. Whether it is a hold, hit, handcheck is irrelevant.

IAABO wants prelim signals for all fouls.

In FIBA, we only give them for block/charge, T, unsporting ( int/f1) or DQ ( flagrant/f2) fouls.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

My area supervisor and, of course, the state association where I work preach the importance of showing a good preliminary.

I like the use of a preliminary more so than not when officiating, mainly because there are those times when we as a crew are focused on a matchup or secondary match up in our primary and we don't "see through" a play or maybe don't have it in our peripheral view, thus we don't know why a whistle was blown and play stopped.

The quicker the entire crew knows why play was stopped, the more efficiently a crew can move the game along.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

First time poster guys but have been lurking for a while. Looking forward to good discussion with you guys. I think giving a preliminary is a very useful tool in the right scenario to lend credibility. Obviously I think preliminaries should be used in block/charge scenarios but they can really help sell a certain call that may not be obvious to everyone in the gym. Some examples could be a slight hit to the head on a drive to the basket or an elbow tap on a shooter. Have also used a preliminary on an illegal screen play where everyone sees the illegal screen but there was a push from the offensive player on the screener that not everyone may have seen.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnYourStripes View Post
First time poster guys but have been lurking for a while. Looking forward to good discussion with you guys. I think giving a preliminary is a very useful tool in the right scenario to lend credibility. Obviously I think preliminaries should be used in block/charge scenarios but they can really help sell a certain call that may not be obvious to everyone in the gym. Some examples could be a slight hit to the head on a drive to the basket or an elbow tap on a shooter. Have also used a preliminary on an illegal screen play where everyone sees the illegal screen but there was a push from the offensive player on the screener that not everyone may have seen.
Welcome to the forums!

These are some good examples. In my experience, it's the different definitions everyone has of preliminary signals that causes argument. Someone may say they're horrible while another says they are pivotal; All the while they both are meaning something different but will ***** about it during pregame.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnYourStripes View Post
Funny you should mention these.

I'm now waiting for someone to come in and say that a "hit to the head" isn't an approved NFHS signal.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I'm now waiting for someone to come in and say that a "hit to the head" isn't an approved NFHS signal.
It isn't, but you can verbalize that action with another signal.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It isn't, but you can verbalize that action with another signal.

Peace
Or you can give a hit to the head.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Or you can give a hit to the head.
You could and I would like the NF to add to the signals that are already there, but in college this is a signal. I gave a lot of preliminary signals in college games too. I do not see the incessant need to not use them. But to each his own I guess.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It must be . . . I saw it when a foul was reported to the table in a JV game just two days ago! And the foul before that was the frankenstein signal! Y'all are just behind the times!
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I use the hit to the head at the spot.

I saw a one-armed Frankenstein at my kid's game this weekend.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I use the hit to the head at the spot.

I saw a one-armed Frankenstein at my kid's game this weekend.
You see a lot of goofy stuff watching your kid play. Entertaining or does it make you mad? ;p
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

2015-17 OFFICIALS MANUAL
4.4 PLAY IS STOPPED

4.4.2 Fouls

B. Point of the Foul: It is imperative that a definite procedure in officiating mechanics be used when a foul occurs. The following duties should be performed in the order listed by the ruling official:

1. Sound the whistle . . .while raising one hand, fist clenched, . . .
2. When player clarification is needed, . . . (optional bird-dog signal).
3. While holding the foul signal, . . .stop and verbally inform the player that he/she fouled by stating the jersey color and number.
4. Lower the foul signal and indicate the nature of the foul by giving a preliminary signal. (italics added)
5. through 8.

Discussions about proper mechanics, especially individual official mechanics, often seem to indicate that more experienced, and more highly ranked, esteemed officials, are not required to perform the specific mechanics noted. Often, the idea or concept is supported that great, experienced judgement is preferred above sound, and letter-of-the book mechanics. I do not understand that the two are mutually exclusive.