The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

If memory serves me correctly 2 or 3 years ago at a rules interp meeting there was much discussion about the pitcher in the windup position and what he can and can't do with his arms.

With both hands at his side he can bring the glove hand up...stop...then bring the other hand up...and stop. Then start his windup or step off with his pivot foot.

However, he can not bring both hands up at the same time...stop...then start his windup.

Has there been any change to this since then??

(Part of) Rule 6-2 states "A pitcher assumes the windup position when his hands are: (a) together in front of the body; (b) both hands at his side; (c) either hand is in front of the body and the other hand is at his side."

Part 2:

As a spectator I witnessed a successful pick-off of a runner (at 2B only) when the pitcher, in the windup position and both hands at his side, brought the glove hand up in front of him, then stepped off the rubber with the pivot foot and threw out the runner who was not stealing but increased his lead-off after the pitcher brought the glove hand up. Because of the fact that there was only one man on this was an obvious attempt to fool the runner....but was it legal??
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a legal move to me. The pitcher wasn't yet committed to pitching.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

You state Rule 6-2 so you are referring to FED rules. Under FED, the when the pitcher assumes the windup position, he can deliver to the plate or step off with his piviot foot first. In other words, until he starts his motion to the plate, he can step off and now he is an infielder.... tough cookies to the runner!

Under OBR, the above is true but he can also step and throw to a base in order to pickoff a runner while in the windup position. OBR 8.01(a) casebook (grayed out area).
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

This was changed a few years ago

FED used to have the tough restrictions, but three or four years ago (I don't have the book to check) they changed and allowed F1 to bring the hands together and then
step off with the pivot foot.

This got them more in line with OBR etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Did it not used to be: if both arms are at side, bringing arms up together was the start of the pitch??
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Did it not used to be: if both arms are at side, bringing arms up together was the start of the pitch??
It still is.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I agree...and that is why (from what I remember) it is not OK to bring both arms up together and stop but it is OK to bring one arm up at a time...stop...and bring the other arm up and stop...then start the delivery...right??
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

correct

That's correct. Once both hands are together they may then start the delivery or step back with pivot foot.

Thanks
David

Quote:
Originally posted by sunfudblu
I agree...and that is why (from what I remember) it is not OK to bring both arms up together and stop but it is OK to bring one arm up at a time...stop...and bring the other arm up and stop...then start the delivery...right??