The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Yup, and it's a nightmare. You just stand there with a feeling of dread until it's over. Mass. has also done away with 30-second timeouts. It's just five full, probably for the last six seasons now.
What do they expect you to do if something happens during the post game handshake? I'm asking seriously.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Speaking Captain ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
... who's the speaking captain (I just don't understand this).
I don't ask for a speaking captain, but those that do take 3-1-1 quite literally.

2-7-1: The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules. This includes: Notifying the captains when play is about to begin at the start of the game.

3-1-1: Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain.

3-1-2: The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential information, if it is done in a courteous manner.

If the official doesn't know who the "real" captain is, who will he notify that the game is about to begin? Who will the officials discuss matters of interpretation with, or obtain essential information from?

I've heard two follow up questions to, "Who's the speaking captain": "What's your number?", and, "Are you starting?".

And everybody be sure to tell everybody that, "It's the blue line all the way around".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 10, 2016 at 01:16pm.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I used to notify the captain.

Now I blow my whistle and toss the ball. Actually I usually designate the toss these days....cause it amuses me to do so.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
How could I handle it in the future to be an A?
Might want to warn the HC that his ASSistant is about to buy him a seat for the remainder of the night.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Maybe this is a local thing, but as soon as the horn sounds, I'm leaving with my partners unless there is an issue that needs to be resolved at the table.

No way I would stay and observe handshakes and be available for questions unless my association required it.
I always run to locker room door and almost always wait a few minutes until I have to go hunt down the person who assured me they'd be there to let me in after the game.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Didnt they ban the post-game handshakes in Kentucky for high school a few years ago?
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 03:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lame Ducks Out Of Water (How's That For A Mixed Metaphor) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
No way I would stay and observe handshakes and be available for questions ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It's a requirement for officials in MA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
... it's a nightmare. You just stand there with a feeling of dread until it's over.
If I can recall correctly from past posts, the jurisdiction of Massachusetts officials ends when they approve the final score, which is before they observe the postgame handshakes. If anything happens during the postgame handshake observation, there will not be technical fouls, although I believe that the officials can file a report with the state if any shenanigans occur during the postgame handshake observation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
What do they expect you to do if something happens during the post game handshake? I'm asking seriously.
You fill out paperwork and game suspensions are required for violating MIAA rules that forbid fighting, taunting, etc. This applies to players and coaches.

The standards are essentially the same as for any flagrant technical foul under NFHS rules. If this happened during the game, the same paperwork and suspensions would follow -- plus free throws for the flagrant technical fouls (unless they were offsetting.)

In the years this has been the required procedure in Massachusetts, I have had exactly one problem. After a double overtime game, the losing coach approached me to complain about the officiating. I told him I still had jurisdiction under MIAA rules and he shut up and walked away.

I presume there are a few "horror stories," but I have never seen one or spoken to any official who has had any problem staying the 30 seconds it takes to observe the handshake.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 08:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post

In the years this has been the required procedure in Massachusetts, I have had exactly one problem. After a double overtime game, the losing coach approached me to complain about the officiating. I told him I still had jurisdiction under MIAA rules and he shut up and walked away.

I presume there are a few "horror stories," but I have never seen one or spoken to any official who has had any problem staying the 30 seconds it takes to observe the handshake.
It sounds you were saved by being him being reasonable. But I still think that is a silly idea. I am not so much worried about the participants, but everyone else that has nothing to lose.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 09:57pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
You fill out paperwork and game suspensions are required for violating MIAA rules that forbid fighting, taunting, etc. This applies to players and coaches.

The standards are essentially the same as for any flagrant technical foul under NFHS rules. If this happened during the game, the same paperwork and suspensions would follow -- plus free throws for the flagrant technical fouls (unless they were offsetting.)

I hope there are not any horror stories actually. This just sounds like an idea implemented by some suit who never actually picked up a whistle. Just can't see any good that comes from remaining on the floor after the game ends

I wish I had a cool signature