The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

NJCAA Mens question

Situation 1--A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1 in the act of shooting. In frustration, B1 punches the ball and it lands in the backcourt for which he receives a "T".

What is the proper order to administer the shots and where is play resumed from...again NJCAA men's rules please.

Situation 2--A1 launches a 3 with 5 seconds left on the shot clock and it lodges between the rim and the backboard. Go to the possession arrow and resume at POI. Does the shot clock reset?

Thanks!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

NJCAA uses NCAA rules, not their own set of rules.

Whenever a try or shot hits the rim the shot clock resets.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I thought that was the case but they were allowing the coach to call time out so I figured there were some differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
Whenever a try or shot hits the rim the shot clock resets.
It didn't last night...
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Assuming ncaam then you shoot the T then go to POI.

shot clock should have reset.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So is there a difference in how you would administer this in NCAA compared to NFHS?

So in the above situation in NFHS, wouldn't you administer the fouls in the order they occurred? Clear the lanes, shoot the two throws for the shooting foul and then shoot the two for the technical and then resume play at the division line?

In the game I was watching, they cleared the lane and shot the two throws for the "T" and then brought the players back in, shot the two for the shooting foul and resumed play from there.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
I thought that was the case but they were allowing the coach to call time out so I figured there were some differences.

It didn't last night...
It should have reset as stated above. If there is team control and the defense causes a held ball there is no reset of the clock. Officials likely saw arrow remain with offense so did not reset the clock.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So is there a difference in how you would administer this in NCAA compared to NFHS?
Yes, there is a difference. And how it is administered in NCAA depends on the type of T, now many Ts, and whether it's NCAAM or NCAAW

Quote:
So in the above situation in NFHS, wouldn't you administer the fouls in the order they occurred? Clear the lanes, shoot the two throws for the shooting foul and then shoot the two for the technical and then resume play at the division line?
That's correct for NFHS

Quote:
In the game I was watching, they cleared the lane and shot the two throws for the "T" and then brought the players back in, shot the two for the shooting foul and resumed play from there.
Sounds right (with the disclaimer that I don't work NCAAM)
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The way they did it is proper under NCAAM rules.

NFHS shoot in order they occur. A1 shoots 2 for being fouled in act of shooting. no one on lane. Then shoot the tech FTs, no one on lane. Then A gets ball at division line opposite table.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Thanks All!!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

The only 2 T's in NCAAM that are NOT POI but the offended team will get the ball are

1. dead ball contact T
2. Flagrant T

All other T's are POI.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The coach can still call a timeout when the ball is dead (which includes during the brief period after a successful try). Are you sure this isn't what you were observing?

If live ball timeouts were being granted to the head coach, then either the officials were kicking the rule, or there's a local/regional/NJCAA exception to that particular NCAAM rule.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
The coach can still call a timeout when the ball is dead (which includes during the brief period after a successful try). Are you sure this isn't what you were observing?

If live ball timeouts were being granted to the head coach, then either the officials were kicking the rule, or there's a local/regional/NJCAA exception to that particular NCAAM rule.
I can't say for sure because I didn't realize that was part of the rule...I only noticed that the coaches were calling TO because my kid pointed it out next to me...I didn't see when the request occurred.