The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Was working men's rec league tonight when we had a scramble on the floor for a loose ball. White comes up with it, but the player sits up with it. About the same time I hear their bench calling "time out!" I figure they've got no head coach, therefore nobody on the bench can call time out. I whistled the travel and we played on. Was I correct?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Was working men's rec league tonight when we had a scramble on the floor for a loose ball. White comes up with it, but the player sits up with it. About the same time I hear their bench calling "time out!" I figure they've got no head coach, therefore nobody on the bench can call time out. I whistled the travel and we played on. Was I correct?
Why can't the white player sit up? 4.43.5.B
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Why can't the white player sit up? 4.43.5.B
Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. He was on his stomach and raised up to his knees. Would "kneeled up" be a more descriptive term?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

One of those guys on the team is the coach. The team is listed under somebody. Would the league director call every player on every team if they have schedule changes, no he'll call the coach. Was he one of the guys on the bench at the time? Men's leagues usually use some type of hybrid rules so I probably would have honored the request and not thought twice about it.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
One of those guys on the team is the coach. The team is listed under somebody. Would the league director call every player on every team if they have schedule changes, no he'll call the coach. Was he one of the guys on the bench at the time? Men's leagues usually use some type of hybrid rules so I probably would have honored the request and not thought twice about it.
I'm honestly looking for an answer on this, but so far I disagree completely. Well, not completely, I wouldn't want to have to call all the players either. But I didn't see anybody doing any coaching, yet I heard 5 guys all hollering time-out. Which one is the coach? Is he on the floor or on the bench? I don't know. It's difficult enough in a HS game where the coach is not in a uniform. I don't do a lot of rec ball, so I'm not as familiar with that environment, but I have never had a team tell me they had a coach. My limited understanding is: no head coach, no bench called time-outs. Can you give me something definitive on this?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

watch and see who fills out the book, he's the coach/capt/team mgr.

whoever calls TO, it's a men's rec league, honor it. in that league, your biggest worry should be that you don't honor TO when they don't have control. i suppose if there is a D1 evaluator there then you might buckle down on this.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 09:19am
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Can you give me something definitive on this?
Nope. The only entity that can really give you some kind of direction on this one is the rec league itself. Or maybe whoever assigned you to the game. Ask them how they want situations like this handled. Get whoever assigns you to this league to find out for you. That should be part of their job, anyway, when dealing with rec leagues and their different circumstances. Jmo.