The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When I'm working a team I've never worked before, I ask when we go over for handshakes "who's the boss?". I have partners who will ask the players who the HC is during warm-ups. There is really no excuse for us not to garner that information prior to tip-off.
With the change in the pre-game conference contained in this year's Official's Manual, which now calls for ONE conference that includes the captains and the head coaches, this should be very easy information to get at that time. Call for the head coach from each team to join in the pow wow, and you have your information.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Last night we had the pleasure of having co-head coaches. As the R, I told them whoever is standing will be considered the head coach for the night.

They were both chirping about traveling. I informally told them to watch the player's pivot foot and these were not travels.

A few minutes later the sitting coach was still at it. It was a dead ball and I gave the most official bench warning I have ever given in my young career. I proceed to the center position for our free throw and the sitting coach is still yelling about being a co-head coach......WHACK!

Then a few minutes later in the game, the standing coach (who is now sitting) asks why he wasn't given more leeway.

Wasn't the first time, won't be the last, but seriously, "WHAT THE HELL?!?!?"
There is no such thing as a "co-head coach" as far as I'm concerned. I'm only dealing with one person when it comes to conveying info and an acknowledging timeout requests by rule. Everyone else bench personnel.

And I have very little tolerance for bench chatter. I would not have been telling "them" anything in regards to travels or what to watch for. Only the HC and only if he had a specific question. I'm not getting into a debate on travels with the HC, let alone an assistant.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
With the change in the pre-game conference contained in this year's Official's Manual, which now calls for ONE conference that includes the captains and the head coaches, this should be very easy information to get at that time. Call for the head coach from each team to join in the pow wow, and you have your information.
In Virginia we still do a players only captains meeting at mid court, usually between the 15 and 10 minute mark, and then meet and greet the coaches in front of their respective benches somewhere around the 2:30 mark of pre-games. At that time I'll ask who the HC is if I don't already know or its not clear.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 03:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
We don't do that in Wisconsin, either. Still a captain's meeting at 12 minutes and greet the coach at 1:30.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
In Virginia we still do a players only captains meeting at mid court, usually between the 15 and 10 minute mark, and then meet and greet the coaches in front of their respective benches somewhere around the 2:30 mark of pre-games. At that time I'll ask who the HC is if I don't already know or its not clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We don't do that in Wisconsin, either. Still a captain's meeting at 12 minutes and greet the coach at 1:30.
When do you all intend to join the rest of us in following what NF wants?
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I don't sit on the VHSL basketball committee, so I can't give you that answer. No one around here ever discusses it, go figure.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 05, 2016 at 03:53pm.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 03:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I do what my state wants and they have a pregame protocol we are to follow.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 03:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do I Win A Prize ???

The more coaches, the more fun the game is.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We had a Wisconsin team in Minnesota last week and the coach had a hard time figuring out he needed to be at the 12 minute conference.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 04:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
We had a Wisconsin team in Minnesota last week and the coach had a hard time figuring out he needed to be at the 12 minute conference.
Is that a requirement in your state? The conference at a certain time is only a recommendation that is not always followed for multiple reasons.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

If I were one of the coaches, I just wouldn't sit down.

Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In AZ we don't do it either. We do captains at 8:00 and coaches @ 2:00.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Whats the purpose for two different meetings? Or is the coaches meeting just a quick intro, "Hey, I'm Dewey and these are my partners Chet and Howe" Or are you doing something more formal during this time, like asking for game administrator, noting any specific court or other items, etc?
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Whats the purpose for two different meetings? Or is the coaches meeting just a quick intro, "Hey, I'm Dewey and these are my partners Chet and Howe" Or are you doing something more formal during this time, like asking for game administrator, noting any specific court or other items, etc?
We walk from our positions opposite the table over to the visiting bench, shake coaches hands, introduce ourselves, and I say, "coach, have your team ready to play on the 2nd horn and do you have any questions?" Then do the same for the home team.

Afterwards we are in front of the table for the anthem and lineups. Takes about 15 seconds per bench. My captains meetings may take 30 seconds. So about 1 minute combined for all of it.

If VHSL and/or my association ask us to change then I'll do what is asked but honestly it has never come up in my 10 plus years of officiating in this state. I'm pretty sure it was the same protocol when I played HS ball in the mid 90s, and I believe its done the same way in MD, where I worked for several years as well.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 06:11am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Co-Head Coaches?

Luke Walton is curious as to which one gets credit for the victories/losses?