The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 05:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Coach K gets whacked

You know, this just doesn't happen often enough.

Video of Coach K's technical foul - WRALSportsFan.com
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Coach K is STILL yapping about the call...during the free throws for the tech. He was yelling at the calling official who was opposite. What does it take to get a second T short of him sprinting on the court?

An NBA coach keeps going on with the vigor K is going, and he's watching the rest of the game in the locker room. But I guess I shouldn't ask for too much...one is more than anyone can really expect.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

I bet Dukie V's heart skipped a couple of beats.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Couldn't Happen to a Nicer Guy!

I knew in hockey they had the "Ovech-cam."

But, I was unaware there was the "Coach K-Cam."

Whack!
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Coach K is STILL yapping about the call...during the free throws for the tech. He was yelling at the calling official who was opposite. What does it take to get a second T short of him sprinting on the court?
That's about what it would take and then they'd still probably try to talk him back to the box without ejecting him.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That's about what it would take and then they'd still probably try to talk him back to the box without ejecting him.
I mean we saw Tim Floyd a couple of years back get ejected after he ran onto the court vs. ASU. It even took that crew a little bit before he was tossed. He literally went opposite, yelled at the official before you finally hear a whistle and he's tossed.

Now Coach K isn't the only coach who goes ape sh** like this....he's just the most visible.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 07:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Hey, I understand. I've only excused 2 basketball coaches in 24 years. I have had one or two that in retrospect I probably should've gotten rid of, but you just don't think that way in the heat of it all -- a basketball ejection is like the nuclear option.

For some reason, it's easier in baseball. Usually the coach is out on the field when he crosses the line and it seems more normal ejecting baseball coaches than ejecting basketball coaches.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 07:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Anyone see Huggy being "restrained" by his Asst Coaches this weekend?

Another unhappy customer.

Bwahahahahah!
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Hey, I understand. I've only excused 2 basketball coaches in 24 years. I have had one or two that in retrospect I probably should've gotten rid of, but you just don't think that way in the heat of it all -- a basketball ejection is like the nuclear option.

For some reason, it's easier in baseball. Usually the coach is out on the field when he crosses the line and it seems more normal ejecting baseball coaches than ejecting basketball coaches.
Oh, I'm not saying there needs to be more ejections. It just seems like at that level, they're slow to even T some of these actions...like a coach has to be over the top just to receive much less an ejection.

I mean, is there a reason we should allow a coach to go on for a minute like Coach K did after being T'd? Should we allow a coach to be yelling across the court like he's doing? The whole reason we go opposite on technical fouls on the coach is to avoid a possible confrontation and allow the coach to cool down, but he's not even doing that!

Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 07:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Oh - you mean he got a technical. Where I grew up, "whacked" meant something else!

Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Bwahahahahah!
Missed that, but he looked like he rolled in off the golf course in that short sleeve windbreaker.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:05pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Where's the dang "like" button?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Bwahahahahah!
Huggy didn't even get whacked for that, did he?

I guess I don't belong at that level -- anytime a coach needs to be held back by someone equals a technical foul in my world.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

One of my regular partners was at the game, about 20 rows behind the Duke bench. He could stare right into K's face during timeouts. I didn't see the call but my partner, who is not a Duke fan, said it was a terrible call. Everybody thought the call was going against GT. So when Kersey signaled Dule #3, K lost. My partner told his friend to watch because a T was coming. Sure enough. Kersey went opposite and ignored K, which pissed him off all the more. If igure K either said a magic word or it had already been building up, an ABS T.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

It may have been a deserved technical, but it was a predictable one. Coach K did have every reason to be upset. He was more upset at the previous player control foul on Nolan Smith. The call on the Duke player afterwards was just icing on the cake.