The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 28, 2015, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Where slackers go to get the rust off. Scrims!
Slackers?

Not sure it's a scrimmage, though. Most scrimmages don't keep track of player fouls; at least in my area.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2015, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well in my experience in this area, the assignor can fight all they want, but it does not change the school and their budgetary situations. If they do not want to pay and extra $40 to $50 per game it is not going to happen. And depending on how many games, that could go into the hundreds of extra money for the school to pay out. And I can tell you schools in Illinois often are not being funded as the state says they are supposed to be (do not get me started) because the budget is not resolved. Those few extra hundred dollars makes a difference.

Peace
I'd like to see more younger officials offer to split 2 checks at the JV level. Those that want to become varsity officials need to work games 3-person and a camp or two in the summer just doesn't cut it.

However, this is why so many officials, even those that work varsity, are simply terrible at 3-person.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2015, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Slackers?

Not sure it's a scrimmage, though. Most scrimmages don't keep track of player fouls; at least in my area.
Yeah that's true here also, but usually the total new guys get their feet wet during scrims.

Varsity group around here is really old. If they aren't doing any other sports scrims are there first game in over half a year. Upside is every year seems like 5 years experience working with retired college officials. Downside is I always go, "YES! I'm not the R1" J/K they make me do it.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2015, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

It appears this is Arvin (Calif.) High School. So props to the Golden State!
huh. My son is playing JV in So Cal, and we've never seen three refs. (League hasn't started, but I'm pretty sure from the game we went to last year that even their league games are 2 man (Mission League, for anyone who knows SoCal).
Old Mon Dec 28, 2015, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
huh. My son is playing JV in So Cal, and we've never seen three refs. (League hasn't started, but I'm pretty sure from the game we went to last year that even their league games are 2 man (Mission League, for anyone who knows SoCal).
Preseason scrimmages and off season leagues are often used to train officials. I'm guessing this was a varsity level game played in the off season. The T in this play was in a bit over his head judging by his mechanics, which tend to be the first thing to go when an official is nervous or panicked.

He may be a solid JV official ready to start the process of moving up, or he may have simply had a brain cramp, or he may have just been dialing in the summer stuff and not really cared much about communication. My guess is the first option.