The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 11:12am
Back from the DL

Sub T or Team T?

Between first and second quarters. First warning horn has sounded. V-6 checks in at the table, and is advised he must wait until the clock has started in the second quarter until being allowed into the game.

Second warning horn has sounded. Both teams are still huddling. R sets the ball down and starts counting. Both teams' players run onto the court, plus V-6, who is on the court when the throw-in is completed.

Technical foul on V-6 or the V team (for six on the court)?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Team technical

[QUOTE=bainsey;973590]Between first and second quarters. First warning horn has sounded. V-6 checks in at the table, and is advised he must wait until the clock has started in the second quarter until being allowed into the game.

Second warning horn has sounded. Both teams are still huddling. R sets the ball down and starts counting. Both teams' players run onto the court, plus V-6, who is on the court when the throw-in is completed.

Technical foul on V-6 or the V team (for six on the court)?[/QUOTE

I think you would go with the team tech. 10-2-2 SUBSTITUTE TECHNICALsays a sub shall not enter the court without being beckoned EXCEPT between quarters and during timeouts. So it should be a team tech for six on the court.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=billyu2;973594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I think you would go with the team tech. 10-2-2 SUBSTITUTE TECHNICALsays a sub shall not enter the court without being beckoned EXCEPT between quarters and during timeouts. So it should be a team tech for six on the court.
Possibly followed closely be a unsportsmanlike on the sub, the coach or both when they pitch their fit...even though they were wrong.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Are these incidents like a POE this year or what? Since when has subbing between quarters been such an issue or paid attention to?

Usually at TO's this does come up from time to time when a sub checks in after the warning horn but I don't think tables really "pay" that much attention during the game if a player doesn't check in.

In any case this would be a team T for 10-1-6 or possible 10-1-9.

10-2 would only apply before the ball becomes live.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=billyu2;973594]
Quote:
Between first and second quarters. First warning horn has sounded. V-6 checks in at the table, and is advised he must wait until the clock has started in the second quarter until being allowed into the game.

Technical foul on V-6 or the V team (for six on the court)?[/QUOTE

The section you have cited assumes the player has reported before the warning horn. He then doesn't have to be beckoned. When he is late he has to be beckoned at next opportunity. Also, the official put the ball on the floor. That is "at disposal" and ball is live. Quarter starts then even though clock hasn't run.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

I watch the subs like a hawk on timeouts.If they're at the X before the timeout I'll say twice "Subs are in on the timeout,Subs are in on the timeout." Reminds me that I have subs that were there at the timeout being granted.If subs come and check in during the timeout I'll just say go ahead.Had two varsity officials about 2 weeks ago let subs in who had checked in at the 2nd horn
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I watch the subs like a hawk on timeouts.If they're at the X before the timeout I'll say twice "Subs are in on the timeout,Subs are in on the timeout." Reminds me that I have subs that were there at the timeout being granted.If subs come and check in during the timeout I'll just say go ahead.Had two varsity officials about 2 weeks ago let subs in who had checked in at the 2nd horn
What do you do if no one checks in but subs go in the game? Do you KNOW the 5 that came off the floor and the new 5 that are coming on the floor? Are you able to catch this before the ball goes live?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BigCat;973600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post

The section you have cited assumes the player has reported before the warning horn. He then doesn't have to be beckoned. When he is late he has to be beckoned at next opportunity. Also, the official put the ball on the floor. That is "at disposal" and ball is live. Quarter starts then even though clock hasn't run.
Yep, I thought of that as well but too late. On the other hand, 4-34-3: if entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live. So, are we now back to six players on the court? Team tech?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=billyu2;973608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

Yep, I thought of that as well but too late. On the other hand, 4-34-3: if entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live. So, are we now back to six players on the court? Team tech?
You only have 6 on the court IF THERE IS 6 on the court.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=billyu2;973608]
Quote:

Billy, I'm not sure how you got my name above your quote...above

If a substitute runs onto the floor during a live ball without being beckoned you have until the ball becomes live after first dead ball to penalize for not being beckoned. There's a case play in rule 10. In this Op the ball was live when the player ran in. Technically, if you catch it before the time limit and you know which player came in it is a sub tech. If you don't know which player ran in you have the team tech for 6 on floor.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Dec 21, 2015 at 01:55pm.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 02:50pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Are these incidents like a POE this year or what? Since when has subbing between quarters been such an issue or paid attention to?

Usually at TO's this does come up from time to time when a sub checks in after the warning horn but I don't think tables really "pay" that much attention during the game if a player doesn't check in.

In any case this would be a team T for 10-1-6 or possible 10-1-9.

10-2 would only apply before the ball becomes live.
You let subs in if they check in after the first horn?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Technical foul on V-6 or the V team (for six on the court)?
If you see the kid come in from the table without being beckoned, it's a player T (a sub T actually). If you don't, and you end up with six on the court, it's a team T.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Substitutions between quarters was a POE a couple of seasons ago.

Quote:
If a substitute runs onto the floor during a live ball without being beckoned you have until the ball becomes live after first dead ball to penalize for not being beckoned. There's a case play in rule 10. In this Op the ball was live when the player ran in. Technically, if you catch it before the time limit and you know which player came in it is a sub tech. If you don't know which player ran in you have the team tech for 6 on floor.
I'm going to challenge you to provide the case play giving your stated time frame to catch a substitute coming onto the court.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Substitutions between quarters was a POE a couple of seasons ago.

I'm going to challenge you to provide the case play giving your stated time frame to catch a substitute coming onto the court.
10.2.2. It's out of thin air but it is there....

NOT REPORTING-NOT BEING BECKONED

During a live ball, and with the clock running, Substitute A6 enters the Court.RULING A technical foul is charged if recognized by an official before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Dec 21, 2015 at 04:33pm.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, I had this confused with 10.1.6 (b).