Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Had an association meeting tonight.
The overwhelming consensus was that getting my young partner to safety immediately... was the best course of action. Since the coaches' act began on the court and safety was the only reason I left, the group felt that going back, especially since I hadn't reach the dressing room, and whacking that _____ assistant coach was something they stand behind.
This is stuff I would include in my report to my assignor/state. I still wouldn't go out to the court to report the T cause you're not supported by rule...and when it comes to ejections and possible suspensions, I want to be supported by rule.

I would hope that the sanctioning body would take all the facts into account included in a report and...in this scenario...adjudicate the proper punishment, just as if an official was able to stay on the court to assess a post game T.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 10:19am
High Five Master

Don't make it personal. I realize how hard that is and every official struggles with it but T's and ejections are not personal. Dick Bevetta had a great interview on game day several years ago talking about just this issue. Many officials are viewed as making it personal and it reflects badly on everyone. Going back onto floor was not supported by rule or a good idea bc if you were concerned about safety, going back to the place that wasn't safe just was not a good idea. And coming to the board and admitting you wanted to make sure he did not get to be on bench next game makes it personal. And continuing to add the space before coach, where I assume we are to enter our own negative vulgar adjective about him, makes it personal.

Deal with the stuff we have to and write the report after.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 11:22am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I hate coaches that think that just because the game is over they get a free shot at us as we leave the court.
Billy's citations touched on this, but actually, the game isn't over until we leave the confines of the court. If others understood this, perhaps they wouldn't see their shots as free.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Assistant coach went after my partner today

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Billy's citations touched on this, but actually, the game isn't over until we leave the confines of the court. If others understood this, perhaps they wouldn't see their shots as free.

Exactly. When my situation occurred, we were still walking off the court, which is why I went to the table to report the flagrant technical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WhistlesAndStripes; Mon Dec 21, 2015 at 03:42pm.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
I agree - I left the visual confines only because my partner was being chased and I didn't want him to get attacked.
It just escalated quickly and before I knew it - we were in the hallway.

Buzzer to end game sounds and this assistant goes after my partner before we leave the court and follows us into the hallway.

These two statement do not seem to agree.

I left the visual confines only because my partner was being chased and I didn't want him to get attacked.
It just escalated quickly and before I knew it - we were in the hallway.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 04:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
You can't go back into the gym and whack once you've left. The best course would have been to just email your state/assigner. Let them know not only what the assistant did, but that security/game management was nowhere to be found. In my area, the assistant would likely be suspended as though he'd been ejected, and the host school would be getting a call/reprimand/fine from the state office the next morning.
I disagree. The technical foul was earned for activity that occurred before he left. Leaving for a moment to ensure the safety of your partner doesn't change that fact.

Either way, a full report to the state will give them the chance to rescind the technical foul on a technicality if they so choose.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Why did you go back on the floor in the first place? Game was over, you left the court, get to the LR and be done with it (at least for now) Did you go back just to issue the T and eject? Were the scorekeepers even still there?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I disagree. The technical foul was earned for activity that occurred before he left. Leaving for a moment to ensure the safety of your partner doesn't change that fact.

Either way, a full report to the state will give them the chance to rescind the technical foul on a technicality if they so choose.
IMO, once they left the gym, the right to report a technical foul to the scorer was terminated.

Yes, an email to the state would be all that was necessary and it's likely, at least in my state, that the coach would have been punished as if he had been ejected, anyway.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 10:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I think it's dangerous and short sighted to go back.

I also don't think it's supported by rule although I'm less bothered by that part.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

This topic reminded me of a situation/question I meant to ask this board about. Saturday, BV. Assistant coach makes a comment about a call I made, so I whack him. HC was not pleased with me. Was I too quick on this? My line of thinking is that I'll listen to a comment or two from HC, but definitely not from an assistant. How would you guys handle this?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
This topic reminded me of a situation/question I meant to ask this board about. Saturday, BV. Assistant coach makes a comment about a call I made, so I whack him. HC was not pleased with me. Was I too quick on this? My line of thinking is that I'll listen to a comment or two from HC, but definitely not from an assistant. How would you guys handle this?

Depending on the nature of the comment, I'll sometimes give a HC ONE chance to get his ASSistant coach in order, but I have very low tolerance for ASSistants and their comments.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 09:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'd rather you give out too many T's early in your career. You can be dialed back by a good mentor or supervisor.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 09:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Had an assistant scream at a partner last night. When my partner looked towards the bench to see who it was, the guy yelled at him again.

Whack.

When the HC started arguing the technical instead of roping in his assistant and wouldn't let an official get a word in edgewise, he got one too. I had to stop the administering of the initial 2 free throws to add 2 more.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Depending on the nature of the comment, I'll sometimes give a HC ONE chance to get his ASSistant coach in order, but I have very low tolerance for ASSistants and their comments.
"It's 8 on 5 out there tonight."
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 10:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
"It's 8 on 5 out there tonight."
Whack. No chance I'm passing on that one. Nor would I want to. Nor should any official.