The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

So...is the term "extended arm bar" unclear?

I didn't think so. For over a year now, I though I knew what this meant, particularly as it applies to 10-6-12.

I've been taught at clinics and camps, and seen on NFHS slides at the master clinic, that this meant the defender placing their forearm on the offensive player...away from their own body.

Tonight, at out biweekly area meeting, the topic du jour was 10-6-12. The official presenting, or leading the discussion, is insisting that "extended" means the arm istelf is extended....as in at the elbow, into nearly a straight arm. He is explaining this as it relates to post play, and explicitly says that arm bars (as in forearm in the back of the offensive player, with the ball) are normal and legal.

I was stunned. This is a very good official, someone who also works college ball. I injected my thoughts, and the room was somehow split on the issue.

Am I nuts? Isn't the term extended arm bar plenty clear? As anyone else run into these issues within your area? Working with officials from other areas?
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 02:01am
We don't rent pigs

Translation: I'm very hesitant to call this and I need to justify it somehow.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

He's making stuff up because he doesn't want to change and call it the way the NFHS wants it to be called. Being in a position of respect, people are going to believe him, unfortunately. The NFHS very clearly doesn't want defenders to be using their hands/arms to play on opponent with the ball. It is that simple.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

There is a picture in the nfhs handout stuff for this year i believe. an arm bar is the arm bent at the elbow, as we know. an extended arm bar means it is out away from the body. still bent etc. when the arm is straightened, it becomes a stiff arm. not an arm bar.......
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 08:56am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
...a very good official, someone who also works college ball...
There might be the cause for valid concern on your part. This may be an accomplished official who is impressing an NCAA rule on a group of NFHS officials. Not an infrequent situation.
One local assigner here is a college referee who also does high school. But he makes great efforts to always maintain a healthy and accurate distinction between the two when speaking with officials who do either one or the other. He knows his audience and is careful not to intermix the two when differences in approved mechanics and rules exist.
I thought I overheard him saying the other day that NCAAM changed their rules to allow an extended armbar in the post. I might have heard him wrong. Can anybody here who also does NCAAM refute or verify this?
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I thought I overheard him saying the other day that NCAAM changed their rules to allow an extended armbar in the post. I might have heard him wrong. Can anybody here who also does NCAAM refute or verify this?
NCAA-M rules allow a defender to use an armbar in the post area, on a player with the ball while that player has his back or side to the basket.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I disdain college level refs giving clinics/offering advice to NF audiences. They frequently mix up mechanics and confuse NF level refs. Often they will say something like "...in high school ball we do this & that but in college ball we do that & this". Wish that they would let NF level refs be the sole presenters at seminars wherein NF refs are the primary audience or wherein NF type information is to be presented. I worked a NF game with a ref who would hold up two hands with open palms and fingers spread apart at me when I was giving the ball for a throw in after a substitution. I presumed that was his way of telling me "OK, we now have 10 players in the game, go ahead and start throw-in." Later he told me that two hands up meant "stop/pause", I told him that his mechanic was confusing.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Dec 15, 2015 at 11:25am.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I worked a NF game with a ref who would hold up two hands with open palms and fingers spread apart at me when I was giving the ball for a throw in after a substitution. I presumed that was his way of telling me "OK, we now have 10 players in the game, go ahead and start throw-in." Later he told me that two hands up meant "stop/pause", I told him that his mechanic was confusing.
Why would this confuse you? Wouldn't the context of the game situation help explain whether or not he was ready? If he was telling you "stop/pause" and you thought it meant he was ready for the throw-in to start, it seems there are other issues.

Besides, this has nothing to do with NCAA mechanics.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 12:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I disdain college level refs giving clinics/offering advice to NF audiences. They frequently mix up mechanics and confuse NF level refs. Often they will say something like "...in high school ball we do this & that but in college ball we do that & this". Wish that they would let NF level refs be the sole presenters at seminars wherein NF refs are the primary audience or wherein NF type information is to be presented. I worked a NF game with a ref who would hold up two hands with open palms and fingers spread apart at me when I was giving the ball for a throw in after a substitution. I presumed that was his way of telling me "OK, we now have 10 players in the game, go ahead and start throw-in." Later he told me that two hands up meant "stop/pause", I told him that his mechanic was confusing.
I use that all the time -- and I only work HS basketball.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I use that all the time -- and I only work HS basketball.
Inconsistent and/or incorrect mechanics (and uniforms) seems to be the hallmark of H.S. officiating across the nation, from everything I've observed, worked with and been told to do for the past 6 or 7 years I've been working at the varsity level. Difficult to say why, but the infusion of men's and women's college officials is definitely part of the reason.

At the end of the day, though, managing a good game is the recipe for personal success even though state level evaluators and assignors may "say" they don't agree and will knock poor mechanics despite a well managed game all day long.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I worked a NF game with a ref who would hold up two hands with open palms and fingers spread apart at me when I was giving the ball for a throw in after a substitution. I presumed that was his way of telling me "OK, we now have 10 players in the game, go ahead and start throw-in." Later he told me that two hands up meant "stop/pause", I told him that his mechanic was confusing.
If 2 hands up means go ahead to you and is confusing then there isn't much to say is there. It's also used since it's 3 man and you want both to show both partners, "hey hold up"
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If 2 hands up means go ahead to you and is confusing then there isn't much to say is there. It's also used since it's 3 man and you want both to show both partners, "hey hold up"
Two hands up, palms facing a partner typically means "I've counted 10 on the court." where I'm from.

A single raised arm with open palm is the stop or "do not proceed yet" sign.

A point or thumbs up is the "good to go" sign.

Those are all things I see in my area from officials at every level....H.S. NAIA and NCAA.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Two hands up, palms facing a partner typically means "I've counted 10 on the court." where I'm from.

Those are all things I see in my area from officials at every level....H.S. NAIA and NCAA.
You have an, "I've counted 10 signal"? I thought Hand/hands up means hold on and hands down means lets play.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 02:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post

A thumbs up from me means there's 10....cause we're not "good to go" if there are 9 or 11 on the floor.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
You have an, "I've counted 10 signal"? I thought Hand/hands up means hold on and hands down means lets play.
That's how I interpret it. And, that is what most guys I know that use it are trying to communicate.