The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Wow.....just wow. Can't believe the IAABO would rule two technical fouls on this play. Asinine.
I doubt, or at least hope, they aren't saying they should have been called here. Just pointing out two possible violations. I say possible because I don't know on what planet you're ever giving a player a T for playing a dunk safe.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 01:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I got a kick out of this, and not only because it's a pet-peeve of mine. The lead even had the call, check out his body language when he sees the trail nabbed it, haha.
I don't see any negative body language by the Lead. He just improperly cedes the call to the Trail.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't see any negative body language by the Lead. He just improperly cedes the call to the Trail.
I said check it out, not what it was.

How do you properly cede the call?
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

The guy being referred to as "Trail" seems to be the C to me. I'm pretty sure I detect the real T sticking with backcourt situation bleacherside before the ball is advanced.

We don't have enough information, but both the new L and C are on the same side of the court in this transition play, and I'd love to know why. No indication there was an "instant" rotation initiated by L on this play. He seems to have been there the whole time.

What am I missing? It's late, so I'm sure it's something.

Last edited by ODog; Sat Dec 12, 2015 at 08:34am.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
The guy being referred to as "Trail" seems to be the C to me. I'm pretty sure I detect the real L sticking with backcourt situation bleacherside before the ball is advanced.

We don't have enough information, but both the L and C are on the same side of the court in this transition play, and I'd love to know why. No indication there was an "instant" rotation initiated by L on this play. He seems to have been there the whole time.

What am I missing? It's late, so I'm sure it's something.
Plenty of information. Watch where new lead is running from, so the guy trailing him should be the old lead/new trail. The C is just standing there and was never in the trail position. He's in the right spot for a press and it's his play if it crosses over in front of him.

Maybe you saw the coach and thought it was an official? The old lead is off the screen at the start.

Last edited by Dad; Sat Dec 12, 2015 at 02:18am.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 03:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I said check it out, not what it was.

How do you properly cede the call?
When the call is in someone else's primary.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

There is no way I'm putting air in the whistle for either the grasp which was done to avoid coming down on another player or the coach for being less than a foot out of the box.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

As A Thirty-Five Year IAABO Member ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
There is no way I'm putting air in the whistle for either the grasp which was done to avoid coming down on another player or the coach for being less than a foot out of the box.
Agree 100%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Wow.....just wow. Can't believe the IAABO would rule two technical fouls on this play. Asinine.

Oh, and the travel is Lead's call. Trail doesn't have primary on post traveling until we are in a frontcourt offense situation....in transition this is Lead's call. Trail should have a cadenced secondary whistle on the play if Lead misses it.
I agree. Wait and come if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Grasping the ring is not a violation, if one calls it, it's a technical foul, as is the coach being out of the box, so no additional violations were missed.

Maybe the "director", Mr. Webb, just wanted us to consider calling these fouls, and to eventually decide not to call these fouls?

Grasping at straws here guys.

Silly IAABO monkeys.

Cool graphics. Right?

"Let's Go To The Videotape" was my favorite part.

I'm surprised that this wasn't nominated for a Golden Globe Award.
Webb needs to retire. His time has passed.
I only wish to add that instead of discussing grasping, which the action in the video clearly is not, the IAABO instruction could have elected to highlight the rule prohibiting dunking a dead ball. That too would be picky in this case, but at least could be justified by rule.
The coaching box rule is being broken, but one must consider the strictness of enforcement in the particular league/area/state. Call it how your governing authority desires.