The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   IAABO Play of the Week 2015 - 6 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100484-iaabo-play-week-2015-6-a.html)

packersowner Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:05am

IAABO Play of the Week 2015 - 6

1516Play6

IAABO points out a couple of things in this video, but I am curious about two points.

How many of you are enforcing the following:

1. Grasping the ring?

2. Coach out of the box?

JetMetFan Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:51am

Okay, IAABO. How about this:
*The trail shouldn't have blown his whistle because the travel took place well within the Lead's primary.
*If the Trail stays in his corner of the world he can deal with the HC, if needed.

On other fronts:
*That would be a tough T to give to Red. It's not as though the kid did a chin-up on the rim and the whistle - if we'd been able to hear it - came while he was going up. Frankly, he did a good job stopping himself since he was in "dunk" mode.
*Back to the HC...is IAABO saying to warn the coach or give him a T for being out of his box? Either action might not be the best action. Asking him to back up would be he best option.

Raymond Fri Dec 11, 2015 08:29am

I glad I don't have to listen to IAABO.

DRJ1960 Fri Dec 11, 2015 08:39am

but you do.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 972492)
I glad I don't have to listen to IAABO.

I thought CVBOA was IAABO:confused:

Raymond Fri Dec 11, 2015 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 972494)
I thought CVBOA was IAABO:confused:

They are registered as an IAABO organization, we follow the VHSL and NFHS guidelines, not IAABO's.

I don't think Joyce would want us calling T's for either of those acts depicted in the video.

deecee Fri Dec 11, 2015 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 972496)
They are registered as an IAABO organization, we follow the VHSL and NFHS guidelines, not IAABO's.

I don't think Joyce would want us calling T's for either of those acts depicted in the video.

We are iaabo here and I can't imagine anyone (1) Ting up red for that act or (2) the coach in this situation. Some of their videos are letter of the law type stuff that is just unreasonable to expect enforcement and buy in from all the officials.

BlueDevilRef Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:33am

Ugh. I may be young but I'm not worrying about the grasping ring here. He was mid jump when both guys started waving their arms around. Poor mechanics do not lead to techs. And as to the coach, a simple "coach, back up off the court please" would appear to work just fine. It's not like he was on an officials grill or 15 feet onto court. He was out about 1.5 feet and backing up as the ball came into play. Poor video instruction if you ask me

I wish I had a cool signature

OKREF Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:39am

No chance I'm sticking either player or coach in this play.

Maineac Fri Dec 11, 2015 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 972482)
*Back to the HC...is IAABO saying to warn the coach or give him a T for being out of his box? Either action might not be the best action. Asking him to back up would be he best option.

In this area at least, IAABO is expecting the T with no other warnings. Same for the "grasping the ring."

Multiple Sports Fri Dec 11, 2015 03:22pm

Welcome to the world of IAABO.....
Can't wait for our esteemed IAABO guy Billy Mac to justify this.....

What I can't stand on these videos is why they don't worry about the trail with his "hero" travel call. The lead was calm and cool with his. But the trail wanted everyone in Harrisburg to know he was working that night......

BillyMac Fri Dec 11, 2015 04:23pm

Violations My Foot ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 972587)
Can't wait for our esteemed IAABO guy Billy Mac to justify this ...

Grasping the ring is not a violation, if one calls it, it's a technical foul, as is the coach being out of the box, so no additional violations were missed.

Maybe the "director", Mr. Webb, just wanted us to consider calling these fouls, and to eventually decide not to call these fouls?

Grasping at straws here guys.

Silly IAABO monkeys.

Cool graphics. Right?

"Let's Go To The Videotape" was my favorite part.

I'm surprised that this wasn't nominated for a Golden Globe Award.

goodros_nemesis Fri Dec 11, 2015 05:50pm

IMHO, the red player was trying to avoid falling on the white player who managed to end up under him.. He managed to avoid hurting himself and the other player. That makes him a conscientious and caring lad who respects the game and his opponents. That's an easy sell if the anybody starts griping about grasping the rim.

The HC should be aware of where he is on the floor, but whacking him for stepping 10 inches outside his box is asking for trouble. I believe game management should take precedence over letter-of-the-law. If IAABO expects us to call each and every play by the book, freshmen girls' games would take three hours. ;)

Mlancaster Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:46am

Also not an IAABO state (Ga) with limited membership. This is a weak video. The best thing we can take away is to not turn your back on the players.....:confused:

Dad Sat Dec 12, 2015 01:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 972482)
Okay, IAABO. How about this:
*The trail shouldn't have blown his whistle because the travel took place well within the Lead's primary.

I got a kick out of this, and not only because it's a pet-peeve of mine. The lead even had the call, check out his body language when he sees the trail nabbed it, haha.

AremRed Sat Dec 12, 2015 01:23am

Wow.....just wow. Can't believe the IAABO would rule two technical fouls on this play. Asinine.

Oh, and the travel is Lead's call. Trail doesn't have primary on post traveling until we are in a frontcourt offense situation....in transition this is Lead's call. Trail should have a cadenced secondary whistle on the play if Lead misses it.