The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Do you want a case play every week?

Hello Football Officials,

About a year ago, I started to send out a football case play every week with federation rules. Since then, the group has grown to over 500 recipients of this email. I would like to invite you and your association to join and receive these emails. If you are interested, I will need the following information to sign people up.

First Name (Required)
Last Name
Email Address (Required)

The information can be sent to: [email protected]

I am not a business. I am not making a dime. I'm just a fellow official who enjoys looking at case plays and I'd love to share. Below is an example of an email I sent out last week.

Thank you and I look forward to it,

Nick

<<EXAMPLE>>

Here is the Play of the Week…

SITUATION: Fourth and 10 on K’s 45-yard line. K1 punts the ball beyond the neutral zone. R1 muffs the ball back behind the neutral zone where K1 recovers and: (a) falls on the ball at K’s 40-yard line; or (b) throws a forward pass to K3 which is complete at the 50-yard line and R1 interferes with K3; or (c) K1 punts the ball and R1 fair catches at his 30-yard line.

(Scroll down for answer)

RULING: Since R1 touched the kick beyond the neutral zone, it will be first down for the team in possession in (a), (b) and (c). In (a), it is a first down for K at K’s 40-yard line. In (b), the pass is legal as there had been no change of team possession. If K accepts the penalty for interference, it will be K’s ball at R’s 40-yard line. In (c), the second punt is legal as there had been no change of team possession. The ball belongs to R first and 10 on its own 30-yard line. (5-1-2f; 5-1-3; 6-2-1; 7-5-1)
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:42am
Do not give a damn!!

I would rather have a play with video to be honest. I can read the casebook on my own and do it quicker than one a week. If you can do that, I will participate.

Peace
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Every time I support an argument with a case play I get a bob goodman response like this:

I'm told the Case Book sometimes gets years out of date after rules are changed. The example given above might date from the time when Fed rules had an exception to the false start provisions, allowing even those in a restricted position to be called off the line for new signals, because it reads like a similar situation.

Old Wed May 29, 2013, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would rather have a play with video to be honest. I can read the casebook on my own and do it quicker than one a week. If you can do that, I will participate.

Peace
I do send video links here and there, but its a written case play every week. I read the case book too. I found it was always a joy though to put the football hat on even on those weeks we don't read the case book. I'd love to have you, but I understand.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Every time I support an argument with a case play I get a bob goodman response like this:

I'm told the Case Book sometimes gets years out of date after rules are changed. The example given above might date from the time when Fed rules had an exception to the false start provisions, allowing even those in a restricted position to be called off the line for new signals, because it reads like a similar situation.

I'm sorry you get that kind of response. I can promise you that I am not perfect. I'd love to have you as part of the list though.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

i currently recieve the case plays and find them to be great to be kicked around with my crew on our way to a game or over beverages afterwards. i believe getting them has made me a more knowlegable official. i love them
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanzie View Post
I do send video links here and there, but its a written case play every week. I read the case book too. I found it was always a joy though to put the football hat on even on those weeks we don't read the case book. I'd love to have you, but I understand.
I guess my point is I get enough emails about officiating. It would help me more if there was access to videos to use. I get so much stuff already that I can read, including this website. I just think video is better than reading a play and one of the reasons the Basketball side of this forum is jumping well after the season is over and this side is almost stagnate.

Again, just an opinion.

Peace
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 05:46pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I guess my point is I get enough emails about officiating. It would help me more if there was access to videos to use.
There are a number of football videos available, if you take the time to look for them. Try searching YouTube for "RefMike" and "AOA". You can subscribe to their channel if you find them useful & get automatic update notifications.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 06:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
There are a number of football videos available, if you take the time to look for them. Try searching YouTube for "RefMike" and "AOA". You can subscribe to their channel if you find them useful & get automatic update notifications.
I am aware of video and have several clips that I use often in camps or for teaching purposes. I am apart of a camp that we use a lot of video already. But if I am going to subscribe to something, I want video to be apart of it or I would not read a random email, especially if I have access to the same information. And the NCAA site provides a lot of video as well throughout the season. I was just giving a suggestion as to what might attract other people. I already get enough emails about officiating that I have to navigate already. So for someone like me to want something more than I already see, it would have to involve other things IMO.

Peace
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

This idea is great for the casual football fan or player. If you can expand the rules knowledge of John Q Public, more power to you and you've done us a service.

But this group (or any group of officials that isn't exclusively rookies, really) is not your audience.

We already have those case plays you're sending out, take tests annually on these rules, and routinely discuss far more hairy situations here to grow our understanding of all of the rules.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 11:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This idea is great for the casual football fan or player. If you can expand the rules knowledge of John Q Public, more power to you and you've done us a service.

But this group (or any group of officials that isn't exclusively rookies, really) is not your audience.

We already have those case plays you're sending out, take tests annually on these rules, and routinely discuss far more hairy situations here to grow our understanding of all of the rules.
Exactly. I have been working almost 20 years now, this would not fit me like it would fit a coach that never has picked up a casebook.

Peace