The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Pushy Coaches

Hey all, had just my second varsity game of my career (it was girls) last night. The game isn't too different, just the coaches are a lot more animated and will get on you more, especially if you're a fresh face like me.

At some point during the third quarter one of the teams started pressing. And I kid you not, on five (5) straight possessions up the floor, that team's coach is in my ear screaming for travels. Five. I mean, girls are barely touching the ball before passing it off to beat the press and he's like "Walk! That's a WALK!" After the third possession I tell him, "We hear you, Coach." After the last time, he growls at me, "This is varsity. Not JV anymore. You need to be making those calls."

I found this extremely condescending and really wanted to whack him, but he hadn't said anything profane and it probably wasn't a good idea to whack someone in my second varsity game, so I look him square in the eye and say, like a teacher to a kindergartner, "Coach. Stop. Now." I run back down the court and hear him muttering something about "Call the walks yadda yadda yadda."

What are some go-to phrases that you all use to get a coach off your back? Should I have whacked him?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:18pm
Stubborn Member

After I give the stop sign, like when you told him "Stop", any more words about that issue is a tech.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Should I have whacked him?
Yes.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What are some go-to phrases that you all use to get a coach off your back? Should I have whacked him?
If anything, "coach, I'm watching and that was not a travel." Next comment, let him know that's enough.

After you warned him and he made that comment, the only thing you're saying is to the table. "technical foul, yada yada yada"
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

'Nough Said ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have the luxury of actually knowing exactly how animated he/she was or wasn't (You are obviously new to that level). Most occasions I'm just continuing to officiate. If they have a valid question I give a short and concise answer when possible. I expect them to be animated and work me for calls (In most cases it means they give a $hit). If you are too quick to give the stop sign for a little emotion it could seem dismissive, and that you aren't equipped to handle that kind of conflict(if you engage to much they will eat you). As you progress upward being able to handle/manage and resolve conflict during games with players and coaches is the game. Lean on veterans for advice, and know that they know you are new. That's most likely why you will be tested. Court presence, posture, mechanics all give positive impressions.

Cleaver phases and comebacks often seem gimmicky. Be yourself, honest and approachable. Don't try to be a pleaser, or someone that has to explain everything. Some guys want to be liked too much.

....or maybe you were missing all those travels IDK

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"This is varsity. Not JV anymore. You need to be making those calls."
What I would do, and I have done with this one goes like this

"You're right coach. Here's one."
*tweet*
T

I don't need a coach reminding me what level I am officiating or what the next level down is. Especially loud enough for anyone else besides me and him/her to have heard it.

The first time a coach barks at me I tell him the following, "you can talk to me like an adult, but if you are going to shout at me like I'm one of your kids I don't tolerate that."

I then go on my merry way.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If anything, "coach, I'm watching and that was not a travel." Next comment, let him know that's enough.
It can also help if you use some phrase like "the right foot was the pivot and it didn't move".

Presumably you (the OP) had two experiences V partners -- what did they say about the issue? A lot of game management is local, and you don't want to be too far away (in either direction) from whatever the norm is there, even if it's not the norm here.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is Earshot A Real Word ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... "the right foot was the pivot and it didn't move".
Agree. It tells the coach that you know what to look for, and know which foot was the pivot foot. Probably a lot more than he knows. If it doesn't shut him up, it will, at least, have him scratching his head for a few seconds and give you time to move out of earshot.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It can also help if you use some phrase like "the right foot was the pivot and it didn't move".

Presumably you (the OP) had two experiences V partners -- what did they say about the issue? A lot of game management is local, and you don't want to be too far away (in either direction) from whatever the norm is there, even if it's not the norm here.
One guy with 30+ years, another guy in his fifth or sixth year I think. It's funny, the more experienced guy said "Ask him which foot was the pivot foot." in the car after the game. That actually makes a lot of sense.

This was my first game at this particular school about an hour away from my hometown, but somehow still in a district with my local schools. The coach in question was from the visiting team, it was a non-district game so I likely won't be seeing that coach again any time soon.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. It tells the coach that you know what to look for, and know which foot was the pivot foot. Probably a lot more than he knows. If it doesn't shut him up, it will, at least, have him scratching his head for a few seconds and give you time to move out of earshot.
You asked, so CLICK HERE to find out.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 07:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
You asked, so CLICK HERE to find out.
It's a good thing that you were within earshot to answer my question.

Don't you just love the Google?

Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I think he earned a T, but your response may have been effective.

In my opinion, if you look like a "fresh face", it might be good to let him know that he can't bark at you. I suspect it would depend on whether your assignor would support it.

Sometimes coaches are right when they yell for three seconds and sometimes they are right when they yell for travels. Players are taught to walk into their jump shot and often travel, but it isn't called. I have been told by a veteran college official that a good response to comments from a coach who wants that to be called is "We're not splitting hairs tonight". Of course, that is better received if it comes from a veteran.

I also think many players travel when they catch the ball on the run, but we shouldn't be looking for "gotcha" travels when we're the only ones in the gym who can see it.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 10:12pm
Aztec-Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
BillyMac, you have all the great pictures to share.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I think he earned a T, but your response may have been effective.

In my opinion, if you look like a "fresh face", it might be good to let him know that he can't bark at you. I suspect it would depend on whether your assignor would support it.

Sometimes coaches are right when they yell for three seconds and sometimes they are right when they yell for travels. Players are taught to walk into their jump shot and often travel, but it isn't called. I have been told by a veteran college official that a good response to comments from a coach who wants that to be called is "We're not splitting hairs tonight". Of course, that is better received if it comes from a veteran.

I also think many players travel when they catch the ball on the run, but we shouldn't be looking for "gotcha" travels when we're the only ones in the gym who can see it.
Interesting. I've always called it because I think they gain an advantage by walking into their shot without dribbling. I think this is a different discussion for a different thread though. Carry on.

OP: As soon as he tells you something along the lines of you being a JV official...ring him up. You've earned your way to the varsity level.