Thread: Pushy Coaches
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have the luxury of actually knowing exactly how animated he/she was or wasn't (You are obviously new to that level). Most occasions I'm just continuing to officiate. If they have a valid question I give a short and concise answer when possible. I expect them to be animated and work me for calls (In most cases it means they give a $hit). If you are too quick to give the stop sign for a little emotion it could seem dismissive, and that you aren't equipped to handle that kind of conflict(if you engage to much they will eat you). As you progress upward being able to handle/manage and resolve conflict during games with players and coaches is the game. Lean on veterans for advice, and know that they know you are new. That's most likely why you will be tested. Court presence, posture, mechanics all give positive impressions.

Cleaver phases and comebacks often seem gimmicky. Be yourself, honest and approachable. Don't try to be a pleaser, or someone that has to explain everything. Some guys want to be liked too much.

....or maybe you were missing all those travels IDK

-General George S. Patton, Jr.