The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 02:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
Hard to imagine a scenario in which a throw-in hits the leg/foot of a player defending the throw-in and we don't have a kick violation. Maybe if the thrower is trying a bounce pass between the defender's legs? Or maybe the thrower intentionally throws the ball at the defender's foot/leg thinking that will earn a shot clock reset?
Happens a lot. The kick has to be intentional. If the thrower intentionally hits the defender's leg, it could well be nothing.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
All resets are full.

The shot clock rules are the same as in NCAA except for a kick/striking with fist violation against the defense. In NCAA after such a violation the shot clock is reset to 15 if it is under 15 (and otherwise not reset). In HS a kick/strike is a full reset.
Actually, the CA shot clock rules are a simplified version of the NCAA shot clock rules. There are many differences. One of them being that there are no partial resets. A few years ago the CIF produced an entire document (about 8 pages) covering the CA rules modifications and giving several example play rulings for various shot clock situations.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The "swirl" isn't a signal for ANYTHING.
The swirl was the technique that George was trying to use from Jerry in the Seinfeld Episode wasn't it?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Bob is correct.

BI mechanic is finger pointing down and then swirled over the other hand making an "O" symbol.

Shot clock reset is finger pointing up and then swirled. NY state resets to 15 below 15 and when I was in California (4 years ago) it was full reset at all times.

On a FT violation where the ball doesn't make contact the rim I usually point to the rim. I may swirl the finger, I don't know, but who cares. If my partner brings THIS up to me I would literally laugh in his/her face. Some mechanics may not be by the book but are used to convey information to the coaches and players.

The more egregious offenses are OVER THE BACK calls and signals. That's 100% wrong by rule and everything.
+1

It also sounds like you were working 2-man. Either your state does that for varsity or you were working a sub-varsity contests. If you are getting a partner that is competent and is working hard on the court what else can you ask for? Not for nothin' but it makes you sound like an a$$.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
He was wrong.

So were you.

(Local instructions to the contrary.)
*thank you bob jenkin, when we meet up in Jan I will tell him that our errors 'cancelled each other out' and he don't owe me a pie.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Maybe its just me...but if this was the most egregious error made by your partner in the entire game you had one hell of a partner and probably had a good game.
If he is doing that I'd assume there is some other stuff he does wrong also. I definitely wouldn't assume it's only error he made.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob is correct.

BI mechanic is finger pointing down and then swirled over the other hand making an "O" symbol.

Shot clock reset is finger pointing up and then swirled. NY state resets to 15 below 15 and when I was in California (4 years ago) it was full reset at all times.

On a FT violation where the ball doesn't make contact the rim I usually point to the rim. I may swirl the finger, I don't know, but who cares. If my partner brings THIS up to me I would literally laugh in his/her face. Some mechanics may not be by the book but are used to convey information to the coaches and players.

The more egregious offenses are OVER THE BACK calls and signals. That's 100% wrong by rule and everything.
*But can you please explain why you are doing "finger swirls" to begin with if you know this is incorrect signaling? And, furthermore, what "information is being conveyed" if no one knows what it means. Although, I gather from the gestalt that this "finger swirl" action has become so ingrained in officiating signaling that it has acquired an "attributed meaning" as opposed to a "certified meaning".
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
+1

It also sounds like you were working 2-man. Either your state does that for varsity or you were working a sub-varsity contests. If you are getting a partner that is competent and is working hard on the court what else can you ask for? Not for nothin' but it makes you sound like an a$$.
*But who cares if they are laughed at in their face or not? That is irrelevant--the issue is signals--not how we might be touchy feely about being corrected.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*But who cares if they are laughed at in their face or not? That is irrelevant--the issue is signals--not how we might be touchy feely about being corrected.
Fair enough. It just seems like picking a nit IMO. If he's stuggling in general I would focus on mechcanics that upset the flow and balance of the game. Like....proper location of out of bounds, effectively communitcating shooting or out of bounds, identifying the shooter, primary and secondary areas of coverage, and so on...

Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You must be wrong. I saw that lurking-bear signal just this week in a JV game. (And it confirmed some of what I was thinking about the level of officials we had drawn that day . . . )
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
You must be wrong. I saw that lurking-bear signal just this week in a JV game. (And it confirmed some of what I was thinking about the level of officials we had drawn that day . . . )
What is this?

Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
What is this?
kinda like this

Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
kinda like this

That's an NCAA-M mechanic for walking under / undercutting the shooter with the body while keeping the hands up.

The finger twirl is the ncaa mechanic for resetting the shot clock.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
That's an NCAA-M mechanic for walking under / undercutting the shooter with the body while keeping the hands up.

The finger twirl is the ncaa mechanic for resetting the shot clock.
The NCAA mechanic is actually dislodging with the lower body NOT undercutting the shooter (it could be used for rebounding as well or even possible post play).

You have 2 finger twirl signals (3 actually if you count abbreviated TO for subs) like I said one pointing up and one pointing down over the other hand making an O.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*But can you please explain why you are doing "finger swirls" to begin with if you know this is incorrect signaling? And, furthermore, what "information is being conveyed" if no one knows what it means. Although, I gather from the gestalt that this "finger swirl" action has become so ingrained in officiating signaling that it has acquired an "attributed meaning" as opposed to a "certified meaning".
It's more like a point to the rim to signal what/where the violation was, and I can't remember if I swirl or not. I'm leaning towards sometimes. I think it adds emphasis that I really, really, really saw the violation.