The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
one pointing down over the other hand making an O.
I don't see that in the NCAAM Rules book. maybe I missed it. Maybe it's been added since the book was printed.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't see that in the NCAAM Rules book. maybe I missed it. Maybe it's been added since the book was printed.
That's how i've been taught the BI signal is at college camps and by D1 officials.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is What We're Taught To Do ...

IAABO (and maybe NFHS):

Defensive basket interference, or defensive goaltending: Sound the whistle, use the count the basket signal, state "Two points", state "Blue ball", point in the direction of that team's basket, point to the throwin (run the endline) spot.

Offensive basket interference, or offensive goaltending: Sound the whistle, use the no score signal, state "No basket", state "White ball", point in the direction of that team's basket, point to the throwin spot.

IAABO: Basket interference and goaltending violations are reported by going to the reporting area.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 10, 2015 at 05:56pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Offensive Free Throw Violation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
..."1 & 1 FT scenario", 1st FT try is missed and the ball does not contact the rim, but just bounces off the backboard and lands on floor ...
It's an offensive free throw violation. And like any other offensive free throw violation, sound the whistle, state "Violation Blue", state "White ball", point in the direction of that team's basket, point to the throwin spot.

If it misses everything on the first of two shots, we usually don't embarrass the shooter with a whistle.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 10, 2015 at 05:55pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Bob is correct.

BI mechanic is finger pointing down and then swirled over the other hand making an "O" symbol.
Never seen that one before.

The correct signal is hand up for violation followed by either counting the bucket or canceling the bucket. All communicated, nothing more needed.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
Hard to imagine a scenario in which a throw-in hits the leg/foot of a player defending the throw-in and we don't have a kick violation. Maybe if the thrower is trying a bounce pass between the defender's legs? Or maybe the thrower intentionally throws the ball at the defender's foot/leg thinking that will earn a shot clock reset?
It isn't difficult at all. What if the thrower attempts a bounce pass near the defenders leg. It can easily hit it and not be a kick. That can be true even if the defender was moving if the defender's movement was consistent and not a reaction to the ball.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's not in the book and I've never seen it used or discussed in any situation or camp. Perhaps a regional thing, but I'm surprised to hear that d1 officials have told deecee to use it. As I said, I've never seen it. And honestly it seems silly to me. Of course, we've seen video of d1 officials giving the traveling signal on a spot throw-in violation, so I would still caution people from using it unless your supervisor has said differently.