Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There is a .ppt available
My point exacty.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Had a partner tonight argue that in two man, the L should signal a good 3.

I've always been taught that the only time the L should signal a good 3 is if the trail doesn't pick up the 3 point attempt signal from the L and doesn't signal the good 3.

Does anyone have the L always signaling a good 3 from his primary?
Well I am a clinician in your state and I can tell you officially, that the L signals a good 3 point shot if it came from their primary. The T mirrors in that situation.

Actually the T always signals a good 3 point shot in 2 person and the L only gives a good signal when it comes from their primary. So if the shoot is at the top of the key and goes in and the T has the shot signal and if the ball goes in, that is the only official that should signal a good 3 point shot.

This has been the mechanic as long as I remember the procedure.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Interesting.

The concern would be then on threes from the L's primary that you end up with four eyes on the ball in flight and none on rebounding action.

Just another thing to go over in pregame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
You stated in your original post that you didn't think L is supposed to signal touchdown on a good 3 in 2-man.

That is not correct for NFHS mechanics, your partner was right.
Quote:
Not what I stated. I wrote what I had been taught.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
And what you've been taught is not correct under NFHS mechanics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Have you read and/or do you follow the NFHS mechanics manual sir?
In our state we do not use pure NF Mechanics. As a matter of fact we do not even give out that book for review. We use most things the NF does, but we have many little modifications because the NF has been slow to change or to adjust to things that have caused problems. Basketball honestly is the sport we use things closest to the NF, but other sports like football and baseball had some totally different philosophies on many things and I know a big reason we stopped using the NF Mechanics in general.

For example in our state we are to never bounce the ball on the end line under any circumstances. That is not the NF Mechanic from my understanding and has not been that case for a long time.

So no, he would not have read the NF Mechanics unless he bought the book himself and it might not apply to what we do in the IHSA in certain situations. My understanding we use most of those mechanics, but in this case we do not have only the Trail giving a good 3 point shot if the shot came from the L.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:47am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Interesting.

The concern would be then on threes from the L's primary that you end up with four eyes on the ball in flight and none on rebounding action.

Why would there be four eyes on the ball? If the three is in the L's primary, than the trail is looking off ball and rebounding action as the lead is staying with the shooter. The trail will only mirror the make.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Why would there be four eyes on the ball? If the three is in the L's primary, than the trail is looking off ball and rebounding action as the lead is staying with the shooter. The trail will only mirror the make.

That's why you pregame it. To eliminate the concern.

Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

https://nfhs.arbitersports.com/front...ual/index.html

Page 24, mechanic #18.

You really ought to read this book, along with the rules book and the case book every year, even if you can quote most of it from memory. Reference them again any time you find yourself wondering about something.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting.

As Lead, I see little reason to track the flight of the ball.

As Lead, I give the 3-point attempt signal, and take care of the shooter. You will see the ball go through the hoop with your peripheral vision, (and the players next actions will be a huge clue as to whether the shot was successful). Once that a jumpshooter is back down on the floor, and not in peril of late contact from a defender, one's primary focus can shift to the rebounding and other actions, and the shooter and his/her defender become the peripheral.
Some officials, having squared up to the floor to cover the 3-point attempt, will then rotate slightly towards the basket while continuing to "protect the shooter."
Getting "deep" off the endline, and as wide on the endline as the shooter/defender match-up, can be very helpful in expanding one's field of vision, and maximizing the peripheral area to include the players further away from a primary match-up/shot attempt, and then, the shooter/defender match-up, as the main focus becomes the subsequent rebounding action.

Less experienced officials tend to focus on a player, or a match-up, to the degree of not utilizing their peripheral vision/info. A more experienced official is able to relax and be aware of a larger area, including the missed/made shot attempt, while not losing his/her primary responsibility.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That's why you pregame it. To eliminate the concern.

I wonder how long some of these pregames are. If I have to tell a partner to take a jump-shooter to the floor in his primary, it's gonna be a long night.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You do not know a ball goes in the basket without looking at the ball? That sounds odd.

And not all shooters are contested either. At some point the L is going to have to get off of the shooter and go to basic rebounding action. There are some sacrifices, but let us not make it sound like the L never has an angle if the ball goes in or is totally aware. The players if nothing else tell us when the ball goes in by their actions.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:20pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You do not know a ball goes in the basket without looking at the ball? That sounds odd.

And not all shooters are contested either. At some point the L is going to have to get off of the shooter and go to basic rebounding action. There are some sacrifices, but let us not make it sound like the L never has an angle if the ball goes in or is totally aware. The players if nothing else tell us when the ball goes in by their actions.

Peace
My point was why would the trail be watching the shooter in the leads primary? He should be off the ball. I understand that the lead will eventually have to see the ball go in the basket, hopefully we are in a position to see that. I know that when I am in the lead and have a shooter in my primary I get an angle to see the shooter and flight of the ball.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My point was why would the trail be watching the shooter in the leads primary? He should be off the ball. I understand that the lead will eventually have to see the ball go in the basket, hopefully we are in a position to see that. I know that when I am in the lead and have a shooter in my primary I get an angle to see the shooter and flight of the ball.
I don't have to see the ball go in. Is someone going to foul the ball?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No, but you make a lot of sacrifices in calling 3 person. Not every shot is a contested one, certainly not every 3 point shot and once the shot is over, we have to move on anyway. There are situations where you have to stay longer, but not as common.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:31pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I get it. You know by the reaction of the players if the shot was made.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I get it. You know by the reaction of the players if the shot was made.
Crowd too. And they certainly react when a 3 point shot is made.

Peace