The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 20, 2015, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

I assign a men's league and sometimes I find it difficult to find the right type of official to work it:

Newer officials will hustle but they might not be assertive enough to tell the players when it's time to keep their mouths shut. (For the most part the league is fairly well behaved)

Experienced officials have no problem asserting their authority (in fact, they might be a little quick to give a T), but they don't necessarily hustle as much, which can be tricky: say the official calls a foul way out of position and a player loudly complains and then the official whacks him.

It's trickier because the league wants some say in who works their games. They dont want a total hack, which is understandable. But at the same time, I have to tell them that there are a lot of good officials who simply want nothing to do with a men's league.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2015, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
I assign a men's league and sometimes I find it difficult to find the right type of official to work it:

Newer officials will hustle but they might not be assertive enough to tell the players when it's time to keep their mouths shut. (For the most part the league is fairly well behaved)

Experienced officials have no problem asserting their authority (in fact, they might be a little quick to give a T), but they don't necessarily hustle as much, which can be tricky: say the official calls a foul way out of position and a player loudly complains and then the official whacks him.

It's trickier because the league wants some say in who works their games. They dont want a total hack, which is understandable. But at the same time, I have to tell them that there are a lot of good officials who simply want nothing to do with a men's league.

What do you define as "total hack"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk