The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Headwear for religous reasons

3-5-4 Exception b allows for headwear which is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely it will come off during play.

Is it possible the NFHS equates "highly unlikely" to "guarantees"?
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
3-5-4 Exception b allows for headwear which is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely it will come off during play.

100% not possible.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

One more jewel

3-5 (Team Member's Equipment)-8 states: Jewelry is prohibited.

Is it possible the NFHS would still consider it OK for a team member to wear jewelry if they do not become a player?
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3-5 (Team Member's Equipment)-8 states: Jewelry is prohibited.

Is it possible the NFHS would still consider it OK for a team member to wear jewelry if they do not become a player?
Yes. Just can't come into the game with it on.

I've only had one situation like this where a girl refused to wear a proper headband. So she sat on the bench the entire game.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Yes. Just can't come into the game with it on.

I've only had one situation like this where a girl refused to wear a proper headband. So she sat on the bench the entire game.
My understanding is that a team member must be appropriately attired to participate in warm-ups. Thus, when we arrive on the floor, we check for such items, and through the coach, or team captains, we rectify them, even before the game starts.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
My understanding is that a team member must be appropriately attired to participate in warm-ups. Thus, when we arrive on the floor, we check for such items, and through the coach, or team captains, we rectify them, even before the game starts.
That's correct -- there's a specific case play on this.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
My bad, warm-up is part of the game to me.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
100% not possible.
Case in point. Had boys games on Tuesday in which the visiting school was a Jewish academy. Like the Northwestern player who made headlines last year, they all adorned yarmulkes. Very obviously for religious reasons, so no issue whatsoever. In two whole games, only one player had his yarmulke slip off one time. After a rebound, I blew it dead, he put it back on, and off we went. No big deal.

I did, however, make a bunch of starters go to the locker room to remove their unauthorized t-shirts, which I didn't get to observe until right before the game when their warmup shirts came off. Coach had my back because he had told them and they didn't listen.

Anyway, so here's a question. We had to start the game with some non-designated starters because some of the starters were "unavailable" while in the locker room removing their t-shirts. The coach didn't choose to change a designated starter.....I told him that some of his starters couldn't play until they were legally equipped. So I didn't penalize. Correct action or not?
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's correct -- there's a specific case play on this.
3.5 SIT B in the 14-15 Case book, 3.5 SIT A in the 15-16 Case book.

I have always made players on the court remove jewelry when I notice it, whether during warm-ups or actual game time. And I feel like I understand the rule. I realize there is no penalty. They just cannot participate until they rectify the situation.

However, I am only 99% sure that the NFHS would agree with me that jewelry is prohibited as Team Member's equipment and therefore, not considered OK even if they do not become a player. That 1% has me questioning.

Last edited by Scratch85; Thu Dec 03, 2015 at 09:17pm. Reason: sp and continuity
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Anyway, so here's a question. We had to start the game with some non-designated starters because some of the starters were "unavailable" while in the locker room removing their t-shirts. The coach didn't choose to change a designated starter.....I told him that some of his starters couldn't play until they were legally equipped. So I didn't penalize. Correct action or not?
(In the spirit of teaching to fish) -- what does the rule on changing starters say? (3-2 or something like that). It's pretty clear.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
3.5 SIT B ...
3.5 SITUATION B: The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the
team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative
necklace. RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove
the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to
warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

Obviously, from the casebook play, we don't let them warm up with jewelry, it's a safety issue.

The casebook citation (above) is for 3-5: Team Member’s Equipment, Apparel, it's not just for jewelry.

How about letting then warm up with an illegal color undershirt?

It's not a safety issue, it's an equipment fashion issue.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 03, 2015 at 05:55pm.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
3.5 SITUATION B: ... The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately ...
Leave it to the NFHS to perpetuate the "must remove" approach as opposed to the "inform they can't play with" approach.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Case in point. Had boys games on Tuesday in which the visiting school was a Jewish academy. Like the Northwestern player who made headlines last year, they all adorned yarmulkes. Very obviously for religious reasons, so no issue whatsoever. In two whole games, only one player had his yarmulke slip off one time. After a rebound, I blew it dead, he put it back on, and off we went. No big deal.

I did, however, make a bunch of starters go to the locker room to remove their unauthorized t-shirts, which I didn't get to observe until right before the game when their warmup shirts came off. Coach had my back because he had told them and they didn't listen.

3-2-2a. A starter with illegal equipment/apparel can be changed without penalty.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
3-2-2a. A starter with illegal equipment/apparel can be changed without penalty.
Sweet! I was pretty sure I didn't kick the rule, but not 100%.

See, to all newer officials out there who read this thread, this is why you read through the rule book at least once per year, if not more often. You may not always have your book available to consult, and you may not always have sections and articles memorized verbatim, but that little voice in your head will usually lead you to the right answer because you've comprehended it before.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2015, 07:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just Curious

Quote:
Like the Northwestern player who made headlines last year, they all adorned yarmulkes. Very obviously for religious reasons, so no issue whatsoever. In two whole games, only one player had his yarmulke slip off one time. After a rebound, I blew it dead, he put it back on, and off we went. No big deal.
Oft times, a yamulke is kept in place by using a bobby pin. How were they kept in place so efficiently?