The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 02:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Four’s Company ...

Below is a near final draft of an article that I plan to have published in our local Board's newsletter. I realize that this is a local, "When in Rome ...", issue, but I would still like some feedback from Forum members (I am not a great writer. I'm a great lover, a great singer (there are two kinds of Irishmen, those who are great singers, and those who think that they are great singers), a great basketball official, but, unfortunately, I'm not a great writer.

Four’s Company

No, this is not a sequel to the late 1970’s, early 1980’s, television show, Three’s Company, adding a fourth character to the trio of Janet Wood, Chrissy Snow, and Jack Tripper. Rather, it’s about the importance of having four officials at the site of a typical junior varsity, varsity, doubleheader. There are educational, practical, and professional, reasons for having four officials at the game site.

For many years, it was a Board policy to have varsity officials show up early to observe, and rate, the junior varsity officials, and to have the junior varsity officials stay to observe, and rate, the varsity officials. Recent changes in the Board rating system has done away with the need for officials to rate nonpartner officials, but that doesn't do away with the need for four officials to be at the game site for as long as reasonably possible. According to the Board 2015-16 Member Expectations Policy, “Varsity members arrive early to observe subvarsity officials and subvarsity officials remain to observe varsity officials”.

The four officials at a high school game site should work together as a team. Varsity officials should arrive at the game site no later than the beginning of the second period of the junior varsity game, to observe the junior varsity officials. Junior varsity officials should stay, and observe, the varsity game until at least halftime of the varsity game, in order to learn by watching experienced officials. Many varsity officials will try to show up for the beginning of the junior varsity game, and many junior varsity officials will often stay to observe the entire varsity game.

Veteran officials should observe, and offer constructive appraisals, with specific suggestions, to less experienced officials. Less experienced officials should seek out, and ask for input, from more experienced officials. "So? What did you see out there?” is an easy way to start a pregame, halftime, or postgame, conversation. The continuing education, and improvement, of officials is vital to the continued success of the Board.

There are also practical reasons for having four officials at the game site. The overlap will insure that an official is available if one of the officials at the site becomes ill, or injured. In rare cases, an official may be late to the game due to unexpected traffic conditions, a flat tire, dead battery, etc. In extremely rare cases, an official may not show up for a game due to a miscommunication, or a scheduling, error. The Board does have One Person Mechanics Guidelines in place, but it is best if we have two officials working every game.

The third reason for having four officials at a game site deals with professionalism. If principals, athletic directors, site directors, and coaches, do not observe an overlap of officials over the course of a junior varsity, varsity, doubleheader, they may get the impression that the officials simply want to “get in, get out, and get paid”. This is not the impression that Board members want to give. School personnel at the game site notice such things as junior varsity officials, and varsity officials, observing each other, and discussing the game at pregame, halftime, or postgame. Officials acting in this manner will solidify the reputation of the Board as “The Best”.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 28, 2015 at 02:30pm.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:17pm
Aztec-Irishman

Great article and thank you for sharing. Below are my suggestions for your review.

Note: I cut and paste your article into "Word" and then repasted. Let me know if you want the tracked corrected version in Word.

Four’s Company

No, this is not a sequel to the late 1970’s, early 1980’s, television show, Three’s Company, adding a fourth character to the trio of Janet Wood, Chrissy Snow, and Jack Tripper. Rather, it’s about the importance of having four officials at the site of a typical junior varsity, varsity, doubleheader. There are educational, practical, and professional reasons for having four officials at the game site.

The four officials at a high school game site should work together as a team to educate each other. Varsity officials should arrive at the game site no later than the beginning of the second period of the junior varsity game, to observe the junior varsity officials. Veteran officials should offer constructive appraisals, with specific suggestions, to the less experienced officials. Junior varsity officials should stay and observe the varsity game until at least halftime of the varsity game, in order to learn by watching more experienced officials. Less experienced officials should seek out, and ask for input, from more experienced officials. "So? What did you see out there?” is an easy way to start a pregame, halftime, or postgame conversation. The continuing education and improvement of officials are vital to the continued success of the Board.

There are also practical reasons for having four officials at the game site. The overlap will insure that an official is available if one of the officials at the site becomes ill or injured. In rare cases, an official may be late to the game due to unexpected traffic conditions, a flat tire, dead battery, etc. In extremely rare cases, an official may not show up for a game due to a miscommunication or a scheduling error. The Board does have One Person Mechanics Guidelines in place, but it is best if we have two officials working every game.

The third reason for having four officials at a game site deals with professionalism. If principals, athletic directors, site directors, and coaches do not observe an overlap of officials over the course of a junior varsity, varsity doubleheader, they may get the impression that the officials simply want to “get in, get out, and get paid”. This is not the impression that Board members want to give. School personnel at the game site notice such things as junior varsity officials and varsity officials, observing each other and discussing the game at pregame, halftime, or postgame.

For many years, it was a Board policy to have varsity officials show up early to observe, and rate, the junior varsity officials and to have the junior varsity officials stay to observe, and rate, the varsity officials. Recent changes in the Board rating system has done away with the need for officials to rate nonpartner officials, but that doesn't do away with the need for four officials to be at the game site for as long as reasonably possible. According to the Board 2015-16 Member Expectations Policy, “Varsity members arrive early to observe subvarsity officials and subvarsity officials remain to observe varsity officials”. Officials acting in this manner will solidify the reputation and continued success of the Board as “The Best”.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dostoyevsky, I'm Not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutierrez7 View Post
... The four officials at a high school game site should work together as a team to educate each other.
I already made the change. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 28, 2015 at 03:31pm.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'll do you a favor no one else will.

Don't try to write fancy if you have no idea what the rules of grammar are.

The article alienates way too many people and has zero net gain if published.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Help !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Don't try to write fancy if you have no idea what the rules of grammar are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
(I am not a great writer.)
I'm a retired middle school science teacher, and an environmental chemical analyst, not a writer, yet I was assigned to my local Board's Communication Committee. That's why I asked for help.

Now, ask me how to analyze the amount of Total Kjeldahl Nitrogen in a sample of effluent sewage water. I'll blow your socks off.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 28, 2015 at 03:59pm.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm a retired middle school science teacher, and an environmental chemical analyst, not a writer, yet I was assigned to my local Board's Communication Committee. That's why I asked for help.
Not writing fancy was the most helpful tip I could give you. You write like you'd talk to someone and just place commas all over the place. If you simplify your writing it makes it more engaging for the reader.

The topic is just something I would never let someone publish. While it may be something an individual finds important to them, it's going to spit in the face of anyone who isn't on board. In most demographics it's never going to sit well.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now, ask me how to analyze the amount of Total Kjeldahl Nitrogen in a sample of effluent sewage water.
It's obvious you're highly intelligent; Getting it on paper is an art form.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ....

Quote:
The topic is just something I would never let someone publish. While it may be something an individual finds important to them, it's going to spit in the face of anyone who isn't on board. In most demographics it's never going to sit well.
Quote:
... this is a local, "When in Rome ...", issue ,,,
"All politics is local" (Speaker of the U.S. House Tip O'Neill, 1982)

Although I've recently had an article published in the IAABO Sportorial, this article, Four's Company, is only for my local board. Since a recent change in our rating system, we have many officials who think that they can just show up, work their game, and leave. That my be 100% alright for many Forum members, but it's not alright here in my little corner of Connecticut.

Quote:
Board 2015-16 Member Expectations Policy, “Varsity members arrive early to observe subvarsity officials and subvarsity officials remain to observe varsity officials”.
This article is just a friendly reminder to our local officials that includes a rationale for our policy.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 28, 2015 at 04:02pm.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

It's not friendly when it alienates most new officials. New professional referees with high potential don't like the idea of wasting an entire night learning nothing. They'd rather show up, do a great job, and go home with some money.

Everyone learns in their own way and I don't care how they do it as long as they make my association better. Being the best is about having the best, not about arbitrary expectations of an imaginary rationale.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 04:39pm
This IS My Social Life

Huh???

With all due respect to the previous critique given... No, strike that. With NO due respect to the previous critique given...
What you were assigned to communicate, based on your board's wishes seems to have been clearly and forthrightly expressed. No overly flowerly language, no undue or harsh criticism, no calling people out unjustly, no "from the top down" pontificating (that's three commas in a sentence without a verb - ). This, meant for a closed group of officials, seems fitting for wider distribution beyond that to associations whose expectations are similar. Now, you know me. I'm about the most stuck-up grammar nazi there is on this Forum. Ending sentences with prepositions, for instance, is something up with which we ought not put. And you and I have privately critiqued each other's work many times, so I'm ready to suggest improvements if/as necessary. However, as to any alleged violations of rules of grammar, I don't detect none for you to give your attention to.
Looks good. Print it.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Nov 28, 2015 at 04:42pm.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 04:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Check Your Local Listings ...

Quote:
New professional referees with high potential don't like the idea of wasting an entire night learning nothing. They'd rather show up, do a great job, and go home with some money ... not about arbitrary expectations of an imaginary rationale.
These are not arbitrary expectations, but it is policy on my local Board. Not observing the first game, or not staying for the second game, will impact an official's future assignments.

In the past this policy was carved in stone (with established penalties; assignment penalties, and cash penalties), now it's only carved in wood, so officials need to be reminded of their member expectations.

Again, this is a "When in Rome ..." thing, and I'm fully aware that local listings will be much different in other geographic areas.

Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
These are not arbitrary expectations, but it is policy on my local Board. Not observing the first game, or not staying for the second game, will impact an official's future assignments.

In the past this policy was carved in stone (with established penalties; assignment penalties, and cash penalties), now it's only carved in wood, so officials need to be reminded of their member expectations.

Again, this is a "When in Rome ..." thing, and I'm fully aware that local listings will be much different in other geographic areas.
Goodbye potential.

There is no good reason to have this expectation except personal whims. They think it's practical, educational, etc.

At least they are moving in the right direction. I can't even fathom cash penalties.

Last edited by Dad; Sat Nov 28, 2015 at 05:02pm.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Goodbye potential.

There is no good reason to have this expectation except personal whims. They think it's practical, educational, etc.

At least they are moving in the right direction. I can't even fathom cash penalties.
There is an expectation in my area, in the two other metro areas I've worked, that JV officials will stay and watch a few varsity games every year. Do they have to stay every time? Absolutely not.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 05:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It's not friendly when it alienates most new officials. New professional referees with high potential don't like the idea of wasting an entire night learning nothing. They'd rather show up, do a great job, and go home with some money.

Everyone learns in their own way and I don't care how they do it as long as they make my association better. Being the best is about having the best, not about arbitrary expectations of an imaginary rationale.
New officials working subvarsity HS games are not guys that, typically, learn nothing by observing more experienced officials -- if they're looking for items to take away.

I agree that having this as written policy is absurd, however.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There is an expectation in my area, in the two other metro areas I've worked, that JV officials will stay and watch a few varsity games every year. Do they have to stay every time? Absolutely not.
To be fair, this is entirely different.

To move up in our association you need to get three reviews throughout a single year. I have no problem with helping officials.
Closed Thread