The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 06:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2015-16 IAABO Refresher Exam Question #22 ...

2015-16 IAABO Refresher Exam

22. A-1 is fouled in the act of shooting and awarded two free throws. The first free throw is missed and the official allows the ball to remain in play. B-1 rebounds the ball and then commits a violation. The official now recognizes A-1 should have been given another free throw. The official awards A-1 his/her second free throw with no players along the lane and resumes play from the point of interruption. Is the official correct?

Answer Sheet: Yes.

I disagree, and believe that, "No", is the correct answer.

2-10-6: If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).

The situation in the question involves the awarding of a merited free throw to correct the error, and there has been no change of team possession. The official should have awarded A-1 his second free throw with players in the marked lane spaces, as after any free throw attempt.

What am I missing here?

Comments please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 06:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am confused. What do they mean by "B-1 rebounds the ball and then commits a violation?"

Would you not commit the violation first?

If there is a violation on B, you think shoot again the first FT and go from there.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What am I missing here?
The change of possession. Team B possessed the ball.

If Team A had secured the rebound, there'd have been no change of possession, so you'd just line them up and shoot the second.

In this instance, Team A is going to get the ball back (because of the violation by B) after the awarding of the second free throw.

Last edited by ODog; Mon Nov 09, 2015 at 06:47pm.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

22. A-1 is fouled in the act of shooting and awarded two free throws. The first free throw is missed and the official allows the ball to remain in play. B-1 rebounds the ball and then commits a violation. The official now recognizes A-1 should have been given another free throw. The official awards A-1 his/her second free throw with no players along the lane and resumes play from the point of interruption. Is the official correct?

2-10-6: If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).

The situation in the question involves the awarding of a merited free throw to correct the error, and there has been no change of team possession. The official should have awarded A-1 his second free throw with players in the marked lane spaces, as after any free throw attempt.

What am I missing here?

Comments please.
B got the rebound and officials let them play on. B then violated. The violation means the ball will be team As. That is why the lane is cleared for A's other free throw. A will get the ball at the spot of the violation.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Nov 09, 2015 at 07:00pm.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

If Team A had secured the rebound, there'd have been no change of possession, so you'd just line them up and shoot the second.

In this instance, Team A is going to get the ball back (because of the violation by B) after the awarding of the second free throw.
You're right, I just hate the administration.

This situation right here is all fault. Both or all 3 officials should not have gone brain dead.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There is actually a case play similar to this. In that play B gets the rebound and plays on. The case play actually says Bs rebound does NOT constitute a change in possession. it is the first play under correctable errors. the reason why this IS considered a change of possession is because B violated and so it will be A ball.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Change In Possession ...

Quote:
If Team A had secured the rebound, there'd have been no change of possession, so you'd just line them up and shoot the second. In this instance, Team A is going to get the ball back (because of the violation by B) after the awarding of the second free throw.
The error occurred when then ball was allowed to remain in play. After the error occurred, only Team B possessed the ball. There was no change in possession.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What am I missing here?

Comments please.
Team A attempting the FT and Team B gains control of the rebound. That equals a change of team possession as now the other team has the ball. Therefore, POI is the right place from which to continue after correcting the error.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am confused. What do they mean by "B-1 rebounds the ball and then commits a violation?"

Would you not commit the violation first?

If there is a violation on B, you think shoot again the first FT and go from there.

Peace
B gets the rebound and travels / swings the elbows / steps OOB / double dribbles / stays in the lane for 3-seconds (on a long rebound) / passes the ball into the FC and the ball goes to the BC and is first touched by B / etc.

On the OP -- see case 2.10.1A. FWIW, I disagree with the case, but if you want to get the question right on the test, ...
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
There is actually a case play similar to this. In that play B gets the rebound and plays on. The case play actually says Bs rebound does NOT constitute a change in possession. it is the first play under correctable errors. the reason why this IS considered a change of possession is because B violated and so it will be A ball.
That case play was written in the last three years, and sadly is wrong.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Change In Possession ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
the reason why this IS considered a change of possession is because B violated and so it will be A ball.
Team B violated, and then the error was discovered, before Team A got possession of the ball for a throw-in. Team A never got possession of the ball, so the was no change of possession.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 09, 2015 at 07:16pm.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... see case 2.10.1A.
2.10.1 SITUATION A: A1 is fouled and entitled to two free throws under the
double-bonus rule, however, the officials indicate a one-and-one bonus situation.
The first attempt is unsuccessful; B4 rebounds the ball and passes it up to B2.
The error is discovered with B2 in possession of the live ball near mid-court.
RULING: The error is discovered within the correctable error timeframe, and shall
be corrected. Team B securing the rebound and passing to a teammate constitutes
no change in team possession.
Therefore, A1 will receive the merited free
throw with players on the lane and play resumes from the free throw. (2-10-1a)

Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team B violated, and then the error was discovered, before Team A got possession of the ball for a throw-in. Team A never got possession of the ball, so the was no change of possession.
When a team is entitled to a throw-in or FTs which have not yet taken place, that team is considered to have possession for CE purposes.

For example:
If your missed FT situation above had resulted in A2 and B3 simultaneously grabbing the rebound and creating a held ball, the AP arrow would determine whether or not players would be permitted along the lane for the 2nd FT. If the arrow favored Team A, then players would occupy the lane, but if it favored Team B, then the CE FT would be attempted with the lane spaces empty and the POI would be an AP throw-in to Team B.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After the error occurred, only Team B possessed the ball. There was no change in possession.
Whose ball is it right now? Team A.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2.10.1 SITUATION A: A1 is fouled and entitled to two free throws under the
double-bonus rule, however, the officials indicate a one-and-one bonus situation.
The first attempt is unsuccessful; B4 rebounds the ball and passes it up to B2.
The error is discovered with B2 in possession of the live ball near mid-court.
RULING: The error is discovered within the correctable error timeframe, and shall
be corrected. Team B securing the rebound and passing to a teammate constitutes
no change in team possession.
Therefore, A1 will receive the merited free
throw with players on the lane and play resumes from the free throw. (2-10-1a)
Quoting an incorrect ruling in the Case Book doesn't help your cause. You might as well cite the infamous backcourt interp!