The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

10 second rule in NCAA

Gentlemen, and ladies of course,

Let me preface by saying I am a huge Wichita State fan, but I'm definitely not a homer, and I have had many arguments with the fans on shockernet regarding officiating. However, I do have a question that I'm befuddled about.

In todays game against Alabama, with Alabama bringing it up, Wichita State was applying intense pressure in the backcourt, and knocked the ball out of bounds. The announcers mentioned that Alabama only had 3 seconds to get the ball across halfcourt. After a timeout, on the ensuing throw-in, Wichita State backed off the pressure, and Alabama got the ball across halfcourt with about 18, 19 on the shot clock.

We at shockernet are all wondering why this was not a 10 second violation. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I thought the rule this season was that a timeout or a ball knocked out of bounds didn't reset the 10 second count, and that the officials went off the shot clock anyways. So, did the officials miss this, or am I misunderstanding the rule? Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

You are misunderstanding.

When the ball is knocked OOB by the defense, there is no reset of the 10-second count. So, Alabama would have three seconds left to get the ball into the front court.

But, when Alabama then called time out, the count resets.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

But the timeout was a media timeout. Would that change anything?
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 03:13pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
Just because TV went to commercial does not mean it was a media timeout.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
If it was *only* a media timeout, then the count would not reset. If it was a team timeout that became a media timeout, then the count would reset.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see it, but if Alabama truly did not call a timeout, it is possible the Trail official simply missed this. Maybe the crew forgot about the BC count status coming out of the media timeout, or perhaps Team Control in the frontcourt was established close enough to "20" (you said 19, maybe 18) where the official wasn't 100% sure, so he passed on the call.

Kind of like the Referee in a football games needs time to observe the play clock hit zero, and then look down to see if the center has snapped the ball yet. There is an OODA tolerance involved (not in the rule book or mechanics manual, but supervisors understand that we're not robots...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Because I'm a nice person I decided to find the situation described in the OP.

(In the future, refinks, it helps if you give a time when the event took place. Even if we don't clip the play it allows us to at least see what happened.)

Alabama was granted a timeout with 4:15 remaining in the 2nd half and 23 seconds left on the shot-clock and was due to have a throw-in on a boundary line bordering its backcourt. Alabama would have had 3 seconds remaining to get the ball into the frontcourt but the timeout reset the count.

The timeout went to media because it took place within 30 seconds of the next scheduled media timeout mark (4:00). That's a new rule in NCAAM this season. It was the rule in NCAAW last season.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Nov 27, 2015 at 05:30pm.