The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 04:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

'Cause The Players Gonna Play, Play, Play, Play, Play (Taylor Swift) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
They are considered jewelry, so the players are not allowed to wear them . . .
Great answer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

At an NCAA Women's camp: "Don't do anything that the players can't do - palm the ball while you're waiting to give it to the thrower, wear a beard, wear jewelry - including your wedding ring . . ."
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At an NCAA Women's camp: "Don't do anything that the players can't do - palm the ball while you're waiting to give it to the thrower, wear a beard, wear jewelry - including your wedding ring . . ."
While it might be strange...I can't imagine there's a rule in the NCAAW book against players having beards
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

And I was certain that comment was coming, from someone. Still, the underlying principle has served me well.
Another example of the application of that principle is that I used to be able to easily clear the net, when it got hung up on the rim, by jumping up and hitting it with my hand. After negative comments, that I was "showing up the players" I no longer do that, but ask that a player clear the net, by jumping or hitting it with the ball.

Because I do so much mentoring, and teaching/training of younger/less experienced officials, I stress that our goal is to remove, do away with, eliminate any thing that a supervisor/evaluator may find objectionable. It is an extension or practical application of that principle. In other terms, it is the "when in Rome . . ." idea.

Last edited by Rob1968; Wed Nov 25, 2015 at 05:30pm.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another example of the application of that principle is that I used to be able to easily clear the net, when it got hung up on the rim, by jumping up and hitting it with my hand. After negative comments, that I was "showing up the players" I no longer do that, but ask that a player clear the net, by jumping or hitting it with the ball.
I get what you're saying. Were those comments though coming from assignors/evaluators?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Got Arthritis ???

Quote:
... to be able to easily clear the net, when it got hung up on the rim, by jumping up and hitting it with my hand.
For me, the good old days. Now, where are my keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I wear my wedding ring. I don't see how rules governing the players has anything to do with me. They are also not allowed to wear a whistle around their neck.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I wear my wedding ring. I don't see how rules governing the players has anything to do with me. They are also not allowed to wear a whistle around their neck.
True!!

Also, slightly off topic...but I've seen NFL quarterbacks play with their wedding rings on. I would never play a sport with a ring on...but I have no problem with officials wearing theirs.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Players can palm the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What do the officials who work the level you aspire to reach do in regards to facial hair? Once you get to that level and are established, then grow facial hair and create the new standard.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:30pm
TODO: creative title here

I wear a beard in the offseason, and keep clean shaven once the season (football, basketball, or baseball) starts. Which basically means I get to have the beard in June, July and the first half of August (I don't work summer baseball), and for a couple of weeks between seasons.

Used to wear a beard in my first years of doing football, until a few of the "guys I look up to" gave me the "I'm not saying you need to get rid of the beard, but..." talk.

As for wedding rings... I take mine off if I remember to do so before i get out of my car. Not because anyone around here cares, I do it because my ring is a bit loose on my finger and I don't want to accidentally lose it during a basketball (or worse, football) game.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Players can palm the ball.
Only some, particularly on the women's side as was the focus of the camp he was referring to.

I once heard that same thing and it was in the context of not appearing to be showing them up with something many men can do but many women can't.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
We've beaten the facial hair horse dead, so let me shift gears. I invite a discussion about wedding rings to begin. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without a wedding ring, and facial hair; you may get more attention than you want from high school moms...

What assignor really cares about a wedding ring?
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 12:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Without a wedding ring, and facial hair; you may get more attention than you want from high school moms...

What assignor really cares about a wedding ring?
I take my wedding ring off because when I watch games in person, I always get distracted by the wedding rings of officials working the game. So I do it purely for my own personal reasons.

I worn goatees a few times for HS games. One time a college supervisor who had just hired me was in attendance and he made it clear I better never do that for one of his games.

So that brings up the other thing about wearing facial hair at HS games, you never know who might be watching. If you have college aspirations, working HS games sans facial hair may be the prudent business decision.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Nov 26, 2015 at 12:15am.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I hire at the varsity level for 22 (soon to be 24) high schools and I hire people with beards, glasses, and other no-nos at other levels.

(1) This is HS basketball.
(2) I want the best play-callers and game managers.
(3) This is HS basketball.
The difference is that at the HS level assigners are looking for officials (not enough officials). At the college level, they are choosing officials (too many officials).

It's similar to the "all black shoes" argument. It doesn't affect how you call the game, but it might affect your ability to get a chance to call the game.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote: