The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Observation: Impediments to Moving Up (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100396-observation-impediments-moving-up.html)

Kansas Ref Tue Nov 24, 2015 05:07pm

Observation: Impediments to Moving Up

One of the issues that we have discussed on this forum is: "What criteria are involved in helping refs in "moving up" the officiating ladder?"

We have cited issues such as "years of experience", "familiarity with assignors", "performance evals", "managing your arbiter", and a ref's ability to exercise "discerning judgement on the 'gray areas' of game management"--among other factors. However, at a recent association meeting--one of the panelists raised this question: "have you ever noticed any of the High School State playoff or NCAA refs with facial hair, beards, or mustaches?". The group of us attendees paused, then there was a collective faint "...ummm no" response. The panelist then said that "NCAA refs and their leaders all said that they do not want anyone on their crews with facial hair." And, furthermore that this was an accepted norm/restriction.
So, given this issue of grooming--do you think that the same bias/discrimination inheres with keeping good junior high & high school level refs from advancement? (i.e., just because they have facial hair is there such oblique discrimination in-play ?).

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Nov 24, 2015 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 970670)
One of the issues that we have discussed on this forum is: "What criteria are involved in helping refs in "moving up" the officiating ladder?"

We have cited issues such as "years of experience", "familiarity with assignors", "performance evals", "managing your arbiter", and a ref's ability to exercise "discerning judgement on the 'gray areas' of game management"--among other factors. However, at a recent association meeting--one of the panelists raised this question: "have you ever noticed any of the High School State playoff or NCAA refs with facial hair, beards, or mustaches?". The group of us attendees paused, then there was a collective faint "...ummm no" response. The panelist then said that "NCAA refs and their leaders all said that they do not want anyone on their crews with facial hair." And, furthermore that this was an accepted norm/restriction.
So, given this issue of grooming--do you think that the same bias/discrimination inheres with keeping good junior high & high school level refs from advancement? (i.e., just because they have facial hair is there such oblique discrimination in-play ?).

Looking the part goes a long ways in determining opportunities to move up. I work in government finance, and I expect my staff to look the part. When I have a job opening, if someone shows up for an interview with fluorescent colored hair, or a nose-ring, or even multiple earrings, no matter how good they looked on paper, I'm likely going to hire someone else.

deecee Tue Nov 24, 2015 06:53pm

facial hair has always been a no no. Maybe a nicely trimmed beard, but I haven't seen it. In the end with officiating cream rises. Know the rules. Know how to communicate with players and coaches. Be in the right spot, and most importantly KNOW THE GAME.

Rich Tue Nov 24, 2015 07:07pm

I hire at the varsity level for 22 (soon to be 24) high schools and I hire people with beards, glasses, and other no-nos at other levels.

(1) This is HS basketball.
(2) I want the best play-callers and game managers.
(3) This is HS basketball.

BlueDevilRef Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:03pm

It is highly frowned on in our area. I think it is RIDICULOUS, but then again, my day job only allows a small mustache anyway. I prefer to wear a neatly trimmed beard, I really prefer the look I have with it as opposed to clean shaven or mustache. Plus, my wife prefers beard too but job won't allow it.

I have heard on pretty good authority that the staff at the Missouri State final four have razors on hand for officials who show up with facial hair. Silly silly crap to worry about if you ask me

I wish I had a cool signature

bas2456 Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 970684)
I hire at the varsity level for 22 (soon to be 24) high schools and I hire people with beards, glasses, and other no-nos at other levels.

I love this attitude. Having a beard has no bearing on whether or not an official is good.

That said, almost nobody I work with or see working higher level games in my area has facial hair. So it's a When In Rome situation for me.

I let my beard grow during the offseason until I work camps/clinics/HS summer leagues.

I shaved for the winter the night before my first high school game.

crosscountry55 Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 970704)
I love this attitude. Having a beard has no bearing on whether or not an official is good.

That said, almost nobody I work with or see working higher level games in my area has facial hair. So it's a When In Rome situation for me.

I let my beard grow during the offseason until I work camps/clinics/HS summer leagues.

I shaved for the winter the night before my first high school game.

+1. And agree with Rich, shouldn't matter at the HS level. But I would say that if you have aspirations higher than HS.....well you never know who might be in a gym observing you on any given night. Enough said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24pm

The only facial hair I have ever seen on any official at the high levels are Black or African-Americans and that is only a mustache that is groomed very neatly. No beards or sideburns. And usually the hair is conservative and short or balled.

At the high school level you will see more variations, but for the most part officials that work a lot of high level high school ball look just like a D1 or NBA official when it comes to grooming.

Peace

bas2456 Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:49pm

I was at a game this weekend where one of the officials on the other court had a beard and longer hair that wasn't styled at all.

Quite frankly he looked like a bum on the street.

To me, that would just draw unnecessary attention to an official who had that appearance. I'd like to avoid that, so while I like having a beard, I go without it during the season.

AremRed Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:45am

Facial hair is a big deal for one of my assignors (happens to be biggest assignor in the state) who got on me last year for some 1 day old stubble I was wearing. A dude from down south showed up with facial hair at the state finals and was whispered about, but the state administrators didn't seem to care. Depends on the ref I guess, most old school guys don't like it.

Raymond Wed Nov 25, 2015 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 970670)

What do the officials who work the level you aspire to reach do in regards to facial hair? Once you get to that level and are established, then grow facial hair and create the new standard.

Gutierrez7 Wed Nov 25, 2015 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 970684)

I am a big fan of Rich and his comments.

Remembering our Interpreters meeting: "When doing HS games, use HS mechanics. When doing College games, use College mechanics."

Be passionate about your profession and always work on improving, no matter which area you are focusing on.

crosscountry55 Wed Nov 25, 2015 04:16pm

We've beaten the facial hair horse dead, so let me shift gears. I invite a discussion about wedding rings to begin. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob1968 Wed Nov 25, 2015 04:25pm

They are considered jewelry, so the players are not allowed to wear them . . .

JRutledge Wed Nov 25, 2015 04:33pm

Wedding rings are the only jewelry acceptable to wear that can be seen.

Peace