The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Observation: Impediments to Moving Up

One of the issues that we have discussed on this forum is: "What criteria are involved in helping refs in "moving up" the officiating ladder?"

We have cited issues such as "years of experience", "familiarity with assignors", "performance evals", "managing your arbiter", and a ref's ability to exercise "discerning judgement on the 'gray areas' of game management"--among other factors. However, at a recent association meeting--one of the panelists raised this question: "have you ever noticed any of the High School State playoff or NCAA refs with facial hair, beards, or mustaches?". The group of us attendees paused, then there was a collective faint "...ummm no" response. The panelist then said that "NCAA refs and their leaders all said that they do not want anyone on their crews with facial hair." And, furthermore that this was an accepted norm/restriction.
So, given this issue of grooming--do you think that the same bias/discrimination inheres with keeping good junior high & high school level refs from advancement? (i.e., just because they have facial hair is there such oblique discrimination in-play ?).

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Nov 24, 2015 at 05:10pm.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
One of the issues that we have discussed on this forum is: "What criteria are involved in helping refs in "moving up" the officiating ladder?"

We have cited issues such as "years of experience", "familiarity with assignors", "performance evals", "managing your arbiter", and a ref's ability to exercise "discerning judgement on the 'gray areas' of game management"--among other factors. However, at a recent association meeting--one of the panelists raised this question: "have you ever noticed any of the High School State playoff or NCAA refs with facial hair, beards, or mustaches?". The group of us attendees paused, then there was a collective faint "...ummm no" response. The panelist then said that "NCAA refs and their leaders all said that they do not want anyone on their crews with facial hair." And, furthermore that this was an accepted norm/restriction.
So, given this issue of grooming--do you think that the same bias/discrimination inheres with keeping good junior high & high school level refs from advancement? (i.e., just because they have facial hair is there such oblique discrimination in-play ?).
Looking the part goes a long ways in determining opportunities to move up. I work in government finance, and I expect my staff to look the part. When I have a job opening, if someone shows up for an interview with fluorescent colored hair, or a nose-ring, or even multiple earrings, no matter how good they looked on paper, I'm likely going to hire someone else.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

facial hair has always been a no no. Maybe a nicely trimmed beard, but I haven't seen it. In the end with officiating cream rises. Know the rules. Know how to communicate with players and coaches. Be in the right spot, and most importantly KNOW THE GAME.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 07:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I hire at the varsity level for 22 (soon to be 24) high schools and I hire people with beards, glasses, and other no-nos at other levels.

(1) This is HS basketball.
(2) I want the best play-callers and game managers.
(3) This is HS basketball.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 10:03pm
High Five Master

It is highly frowned on in our area. I think it is RIDICULOUS, but then again, my day job only allows a small mustache anyway. I prefer to wear a neatly trimmed beard, I really prefer the look I have with it as opposed to clean shaven or mustache. Plus, my wife prefers beard too but job won't allow it.

I have heard on pretty good authority that the staff at the Missouri State final four have razors on hand for officials who show up with facial hair. Silly silly crap to worry about if you ask me

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I hire at the varsity level for 22 (soon to be 24) high schools and I hire people with beards, glasses, and other no-nos at other levels.

I love this attitude. Having a beard has no bearing on whether or not an official is good.

That said, almost nobody I work with or see working higher level games in my area has facial hair. So it's a When In Rome situation for me.

I let my beard grow during the offseason until I work camps/clinics/HS summer leagues.

I shaved for the winter the night before my first high school game.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I love this attitude. Having a beard has no bearing on whether or not an official is good.

That said, almost nobody I work with or see working higher level games in my area has facial hair. So it's a When In Rome situation for me.

I let my beard grow during the offseason until I work camps/clinics/HS summer leagues.

I shaved for the winter the night before my first high school game.

+1. And agree with Rich, shouldn't matter at the HS level. But I would say that if you have aspirations higher than HS.....well you never know who might be in a gym observing you on any given night. Enough said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 11:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only facial hair I have ever seen on any official at the high levels are Black or African-Americans and that is only a mustache that is groomed very neatly. No beards or sideburns. And usually the hair is conservative and short or balled.

At the high school level you will see more variations, but for the most part officials that work a lot of high level high school ball look just like a D1 or NBA official when it comes to grooming.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was at a game this weekend where one of the officials on the other court had a beard and longer hair that wasn't styled at all.

Quite frankly he looked like a bum on the street.

To me, that would just draw unnecessary attention to an official who had that appearance. I'd like to avoid that, so while I like having a beard, I go without it during the season.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 12:45am
AremRed

Facial hair is a big deal for one of my assignors (happens to be biggest assignor in the state) who got on me last year for some 1 day old stubble I was wearing. A dude from down south showed up with facial hair at the state finals and was whispered about, but the state administrators didn't seem to care. Depends on the ref I guess, most old school guys don't like it.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post

What do the officials who work the level you aspire to reach do in regards to facial hair? Once you get to that level and are established, then grow facial hair and create the new standard.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 08:22am
Aztec-Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I am a big fan of Rich and his comments.

Remembering our Interpreters meeting: "When doing HS games, use HS mechanics. When doing College games, use College mechanics."

Be passionate about your profession and always work on improving, no matter which area you are focusing on.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

We've beaten the facial hair horse dead, so let me shift gears. I invite a discussion about wedding rings to begin. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

They are considered jewelry, so the players are not allowed to wear them . . .
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 04:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wedding rings are the only jewelry acceptable to wear that can be seen.

Peace