The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   (Old) college PC rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100367-old-college-pc-rule.html)

Danvrapp Thu Nov 19, 2015 04:57am

(Old) college PC rule

Disclaimer: Gene Collier - from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - is known to embellish his articles for the purposes of entertaining readers...

With that being said, he has an article in today's paper (Gene Collier: Rule changes in college basketball require a trip to the classroom | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) where he's discussing college rules changes. One of the ones he reviews is the PC rule. He makes the following claim:

<i>"The better new rule is that an offensive player can no longer score on a charge, which eliminates the caveat that he darn well could if he released the shot before knocking a previously stationary defender deep into the nachos."</i>

To me, this implies that in previous years, a collegiate player could have left the floor, released a shot, <i>then plowed into a defender,</i> been whistled for a PC, have the ball go in the basket, and <b>still have been credited with two points!</b>

Any truth to this one?

Rich Thu Nov 19, 2015 05:03am

Yes.

JetMetFan Thu Nov 19, 2015 05:06am

In NCAAM, yes. The NCAAW rule has mirrored the NFHS rule for as long as I can remember.

BillyMac Thu Nov 19, 2015 07:17am

Count The Basket, Let's Shoot One And One Down The Other End ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danvrapp (Post 970097)
... a collegiate player could have left the floor, released a shot, then plowed into a defender,been whistled for a PC, have the ball go in the basket, and still have been credited with two points!

This would also have been true under NFHS (high school) rules about thirty years ago.

I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm this very old interpretation.

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2015 08:15am

Quote:

Disclaimer: Gene Collier - from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - is known to embellish his articles for the purposes of entertaining readers...

With that being said, he has an article in today's paper (Gene Collier: Rule changes in college basketball require a trip to the classroom | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) where he's discussing college rules changes. One of the ones he reviews is the PC rule. He makes the following claim:

<i>"The better new rule is that an offensive player can no longer score on a charge, which eliminates the caveat that he darn well could if he released the shot before knocking a previously stationary defender deep into the nachos."</i>

To me, this implies that in previous years, a collegiate player could have left the floor, released a shot, <i>then plowed into a defender,</i> been whistled for a PC, have the ball go in the basket, and <b>still have been credited with two points!</b>

Any truth to this one?

You must not have paid much attention to college basketball in the past.

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2015 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 970102)
This would also have been true under NFHS (high school) rules about thirty years ago.

I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm this very old interpretation.

Why?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Nov 19, 2015 09:50am

Quote:

Any truth to this one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 970102)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970105)
Why?

Why? Because A1 (the Shooter) would not have been charged with a PCF against B1 (the Defender) but would have been charged with a Common Foul (CF) and had A1's attempt been successful A1's attempt would have been scored, and if Team B had been in the bonus, B1 would have been awarded FTs.

That is the correct ruling.

MTD, Sr.

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2015 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 970109)
Why? Because A1 (the Shooter) would not have been charged with a PCF against B1 (the Defender) but would have been charged with a Common Foul (CF) and had A1's attempt been successful A1's attempt would have been scored, and if Team B had been in the bonus, B1 would have been awarded FTs.

That is the correct ruling.

MTD, Sr.

MTD, Sr.

I know what the rule was.

My "why" was for the need for anybody to dig up the HS rule from 30 years ago.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970110)
I know what the rule was.

Because until about thirty years ago the NFHS Rule and the NCAA Men's/Women's Rule were the same. Then about thirty years ago the NFHS and NCAA Women's Rules Committees adopted the rule that we have know and which the NCAA Men's Committee finally adopted for this school year.

I could go into the history of why the rule change was adopted thirty years ago but I am past due for my post-breakfast nap and the time for my pre-lunch nap is fast approaching. Ain't being retired great, :p.

MTD, Sr.

BigCat Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:09am

[QUOTE=

Any truth to this one?[/QUOTE]

The player was "whistled" for a push. Not a PC.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Nov 19, 2015 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 970129)
The player was "whistled" for a push. Not a PC.

Read my post (#7).

MTD, Sr.

BigCat Thu Nov 19, 2015 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 970160)
Read my post (#7).

MTD, Sr.

That works too. I'm sorry i didn't read it all earlier. I was laughing because I knew what BNR was asking in post 6. I went straight to post 8 when I saw you start discussing the play :) take care.

BillyMac Thu Nov 19, 2015 05:29pm

Edmund Burke Quoted On The Forum ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970110)

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”

As a retired middle school science teacher, with over thirty years of classroom experience, I know that concepts are easier to understand, learn, and remember, when one knows the background information regarding what went into the discovery of that concept.

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2015 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 970187)
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”

Those who keep referencing older rules have trouble keeping up with the new ones

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

BillyMac Thu Nov 19, 2015 06:01pm

Context ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 970188)
Those who keep referencing older rules have trouble keeping up with the new ones

Actually, I have an easier time understanding new rules (or anything) when I understand the evolution, and context, of that rule. Some people are good memorizers, I'm not, as were many of my students. I learn best, and most of my students learned best, by understanding something, not just memorizing something. Maybe this is peculiar to teaching, and studying, science, but I believe that it covers a lot of learning situations in life.

Again, some are good memorizers. I'm not. I envy them.