The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

(Old) college PC rule

Disclaimer: Gene Collier - from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - is known to embellish his articles for the purposes of entertaining readers...

With that being said, he has an article in today's paper (Gene Collier: Rule changes in college basketball require a trip to the classroom | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) where he's discussing college rules changes. One of the ones he reviews is the PC rule. He makes the following claim:

"The better new rule is that an offensive player can no longer score on a charge, which eliminates the caveat that he darn well could if he released the shot before knocking a previously stationary defender deep into the nachos."

To me, this implies that in previous years, a collegiate player could have left the floor, released a shot, then plowed into a defender, been whistled for a PC, have the ball go in the basket, and still have been credited with two points!

Any truth to this one?
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 05:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Yes.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

In NCAAM, yes. The NCAAW rule has mirrored the NFHS rule for as long as I can remember.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Count The Basket, Let's Shoot One And One Down The Other End ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
... a collegiate player could have left the floor, released a shot, then plowed into a defender,been whistled for a PC, have the ball go in the basket, and still have been credited with two points!
This would also have been true under NFHS (high school) rules about thirty years ago.

I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm this very old interpretation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 08:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Disclaimer: Gene Collier - from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - is known to embellish his articles for the purposes of entertaining readers...

With that being said, he has an article in today's paper (Gene Collier: Rule changes in college basketball require a trip to the classroom | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) where he's discussing college rules changes. One of the ones he reviews is the PC rule. He makes the following claim:

"The better new rule is that an offensive player can no longer score on a charge, which eliminates the caveat that he darn well could if he released the shot before knocking a previously stationary defender deep into the nachos."

To me, this implies that in previous years, a collegiate player could have left the floor, released a shot, then plowed into a defender, been whistled for a PC, have the ball go in the basket, and still have been credited with two points!

Any truth to this one?
You must not have paid much attention to college basketball in the past.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 08:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This would also have been true under NFHS (high school) rules about thirty years ago.

I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm this very old interpretation.
Why?
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 09:50am
Administrator

Quote:

Any truth to this one?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why?

Why? Because A1 (the Shooter) would not have been charged with a PCF against B1 (the Defender) but would have been charged with a Common Foul (CF) and had A1's attempt been successful A1's attempt would have been scored, and if Team B had been in the bonus, B1 would have been awarded FTs.

That is the correct ruling.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 10:22am. Reason: Corrected sign off.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 09:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Why? Because A1 (the Shooter) would not have been charged with a PCF against B1 (the Defender) but would have been charged with a Common Foul (CF) and had A1's attempt been successful A1's attempt would have been scored, and if Team B had been in the bonus, B1 would have been awarded FTs.

That is the correct ruling.

MTD, Sr.

MTD, Sr.
I know what the rule was.

My "why" was for the need for anybody to dig up the HS rule from 30 years ago.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 10:07am.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 10:21am
Administrator

Quote:
I know what the rule was.

Because until about thirty years ago the NFHS Rule and the NCAA Men's/Women's Rule were the same. Then about thirty years ago the NFHS and NCAA Women's Rules Committees adopted the rule that we have know and which the NCAA Men's Committee finally adopted for this school year.

I could go into the history of why the rule change was adopted thirty years ago but I am past due for my post-breakfast nap and the time for my pre-lunch nap is fast approaching. Ain't being retired great, .

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=

Any truth to this one?[/QUOTE]

The player was "whistled" for a push. Not a PC.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 01:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The player was "whistled" for a push. Not a PC.

Read my post (#7).

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Read my post (#7).

MTD, Sr.
That works too. I'm sorry i didn't read it all earlier. I was laughing because I knew what BNR was asking in post 6. I went straight to post 8 when I saw you start discussing the play take care.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 02:22pm.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 05:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Edmund Burke Quoted On The Forum ...

Quote:
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”

As a retired middle school science teacher, with over thirty years of classroom experience, I know that concepts are easier to understand, learn, and remember, when one knows the background information regarding what went into the discovery of that concept.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 05:34pm.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 05:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
Those who keep referencing older rules have trouble keeping up with the new ones

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 06:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Context ...

Quote:
Those who keep referencing older rules have trouble keeping up with the new ones
Actually, I have an easier time understanding new rules (or anything) when I understand the evolution, and context, of that rule. Some people are good memorizers, I'm not, as were many of my students. I learn best, and most of my students learned best, by understanding something, not just memorizing something. Maybe this is peculiar to teaching, and studying, science, but I believe that it covers a lot of learning situations in life.

Again, some are good memorizers. I'm not. I envy them.