The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

jump stop on catch

Player A1 receives pass from A2 with left foot on floor. A1 then jumps and lands on the floor with both feet simultaneously to to complete a legal jump stop. Now A1 decides to dribble but before dribbling he lifts one foot but the other foot remains on the floor until after the ball has been released from his hand. I believe this is legal since neither foot is the pivot foot on a jump stop. However, this seems to circumvent the traveling rule of lifting the pivot foot before releasing the ball from the hand on a dribble.

I believe the rule book should address this situation and clarify that this situation is legal or travel. Right now I believe it is legal but I feel like it is an unfair advantage to the dribbler. If not legal please explain.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Player A1 receives pass from A2 with left foot on floor. A1 then jumps and lands on the floor with both feet simultaneously to to complete a legal jump stop. Now A1 decides to dribble but before dribbling he lifts one foot but the other foot remains on the floor until after the ball has been released from his hand. I believe this is legal since neither foot is the pivot foot on a jump stop. However, this seems to circumvent the traveling rule of lifting the pivot foot before releasing the ball from the hand on a dribble.

I believe the rule book should address this situation and clarify that this situation is legal or travel. Right now I believe it is legal but I feel like it is an unfair advantage to the dribbler. If not legal please explain.
take a look at 4-44-4b
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In this situation, "both" feet are pivot feet.

The ball must be released on a dribble before either foot is raised.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Straight from the NFHS rules book:

4-44-2: Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:
A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.
b. If one foot is on the floor:
1. It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

4-44-4: After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot:
a. One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.