The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 28, 1999, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Would someone please explain the intricate parts of the jump stop. I am having trouble figuring out just what is legal and what is not. A player is dribbling and stops dribbling(holds the ball)and then takes a step and then jumps and lands on both feet thereby having no pivot foot. But,
1) Is it a violation if, after the jump, both feet do not land exactly simultaneously?
2)Is it a violation if, after landing in a legal stop on both feet, to step with one foot to shoot and/or pass and release the ball before the foot returns to the floor?

I would also like some suggestions and just how to tell or to know or determine the exact time when a player has held the ball(stopped dribbling) and commenced the jump stop. Sometimes when I see the jump stop, I "feel" like the boy has possibly taken one step too many but I'm not sure. Most of the facets of the game I am getting quite proficient at but I'm am real weak at calling this move---please help me get it right, thanks, Ralph.
Old Sun Nov 28, 1999, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good question and you can only get better on making the calls by seeing it again and again.
Concerning your questions:
1. Since the player stopped his dribble and took off from one foot he must land on both feet at once to complete the jump stop. To do anything else will be a violation.
2. Since he completed the jump stop by landing on both feet at once, he may lift either foot to shoot or pass the ball prior to the foot returning to the floor.

Had a girl in a game yesterday, 4'10" who has perfected the jump stop to overcome her lack of height. She did it perfectly throughout the game. Always landed on both feet. Coach of other team never said a word.