The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 01:12pm
High Five Master

I'm not arguing anyone is right but I do agree that a lot of what I have read on the board, usually from veterans, can come off as condescending. My point would be that officials enough crap on the floor, why have it fly the same on an officials forum?

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I'm not arguing anyone is right but I do agree that a lot of what I have read on the board, usually from veterans, can come off as condescending. My point would be that officials enough crap on the floor, why have it fly the same on an officials forum?

There are a lot of officials that are way too sensitive and anything you tell them they cannot get over. This is a forum where we cannot easily write our tone or show you our expressions. There are a lot of officials that want to make everything we talk about personal, when it is simply about the information. But welcome to social media. It has been like this from the very beginning BTW. Another year, another dollar.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Keeps us prepared!.......?
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 01:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Tone is very hard to discern on the InterWebs as Jeff pointed out. I'm always going to be pretty matter of fact, occasionally tinged with a bit of sarcasm. I'm also a proponent of making the questioner (in any type of learning situation) reflect for themselves on possible solutions, or to at least justify the answer they've already given.

Also, I was mentored by guys who would say "WTF are you doing?" or "WTH would you do that?" or "Don't do s**t to f' up the game" or "You didn't think I could handle that play on my own". I didn't come up in a touchy/feely crowd. Oh yeah, plus I spent 22 years in the military after being raised by someone who spent 26 years in the military.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Nov 12, 2015 at 04:01pm.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
It would be great if some people could just answer a question without being an ass about it.

You make coming here SO much better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I learned about Verbal Judo here and my eyes practice it all the time.

Reminds me of wreck ball. The players are so bored with their opponent they turn on me for entertainment.

Here people are so bored they turn on their own kind for entertainment. You have to practice dodging these people and enjoy the people who help you be a better ref. Really practicing Verbal Judo here makes you a better referee. Dont let them mess with you. Just picture a monkey male basketball player and calming T his sorry ass.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2015, 06:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Tone is very hard to discern on the InterWebs as Jeff pointed out. I'm always going to be pretty matter of fact, occasionally tinged with a bit of sarcasm. I'm also a proponent of making the questioner (in any type of learning situation) reflect for themselves on possible solutions, or to at least justify the answer they've already given.

Also, I was mentored by guys who would say "WTF are you doing?" or "WTH would you do that?" or "Don't do s**t to f' up the game" or "You didn't think I could handle that play on my own". I didn't come up in a touchy/feely crowd. Oh yeah, plus I spent 22 years in the military after being raised by someone who spent 26 years in the military.
In my first game of the season Friday night, my crew chief was of those hard a$$ camp evaluators I work in front of every off-season. His personality as a crew chief was totally different. He was positive, encouraging, and confident in our abilities from the pre-game preparations all the way through to the post-game locker room recap. In our pre-game he even acknowledged his camp observer personality and that he not like that outside of the camp environment.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Nov 15, 2015 at 06:12am.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2015, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Oh yeah, plus I spent 22 years in the military after being raised by someone who spent 26 years in the military.
Thank you and all others for serving.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2015, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
And thank you. The part I was missing is the exception listed in 5.11.4

And for the record, I'm not all knowing. I'm fully aware that I will make mistakes. If some people around here could be a little less abrasive that would be great. This isn't reddit or the comment section of YouTube.

Am I wrong that we, as colleagues, should show more support for one another, rather than act like this is a contest on who is knowledgeable and who isn't?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Are your feelings hurt? Do you need a safe space?
Old Sun Nov 15, 2015, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

And just for the record, 5-11-6 states "Time-outs in excess of the allotted number may be requested and shall be granted during regulation playing time or any extra period at the expense of a technical foul for each, as in 10-7-1." (underlining is mine....)

Bottom line, as Camron Rust posted earlier, is the coach can have as many extra time-outs as they want - at the expense of a technical foul for each......and by rule the official doesn't have a choice - they shall grant them.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Sun Nov 15, 2015 at 11:48pm.