The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

conflict of interest?

The assigner of our local high school association is an employee of the largest school sports equipment/uniform vendor in my area of the state. In our state, the assigner is "appointed" by the state director of officiating. I am on the Board of Directors for our association, but we are nothing more than names on a piece of paper.

It has been brought to attention that some schools feel they have to use our assigner's company, or the quality of their assigned officials will suffer. I don't think this is true, but the perception exists. As a Board member, I feel it should be addressed. However, if I bring it up, MY schedule will definitely suffer.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Are you suggesting that there are people that believe that this assignor is favoring the schools he does business with in some way? Also does this assignor work games at these schools or any schools?

It sounds like a rather big leap if he just works for the company and the suggestion that he has some real conflict of interest, just because he works for that company.

Now you did not say what he does for this company either. I think it would make a big difference if someone is working as an accountant or operations manager of some kind and not a salesperson that is in the field working with customers directly. It would be like saying someone works for a major insurance company in the corporate office and saying they have a conflict of interest if an insurance agency happens to sponsor the school with signage or some kind of advertising on a webpage that you did not pay to use.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibuck View Post
The assigner of our local high school association is an employee of the largest school sports equipment/uniform vendor in my area of the state. In our state, the assigner is "appointed" by the state director of officiating. I am on the Board of Directors for our association, but we are nothing more than names on a piece of paper.

It has been brought to attention that some schools feel they have to use our assigner's company, or the quality of their assigned officials will suffer. I don't think this is true, but the perception exists. As a Board member, I feel it should be addressed. However, if I bring it up, MY schedule will definitely suffer.
If a school doesnt like it let them go to the person who appointed him. Or show up to one of your meetings and tell the assigner in person. Frankly, unless the assigner is making comments or threats or actually has a history of assigning bad officials to schools who dont buy from him i wouldnt say anything. seems like a stretch to me too.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2015, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

I would leave it to the schools to lodge a complaint. I would assume the goal of the oversight board is to allow for suggestions to be made anonymously. If there is evidence of this occuring, then you have your answer. This would definitely put the schools in a difficult situation. I can understand their concern.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibuck View Post

The fact that you think your schedule would definitely suffer is certainly interesting. If you're that convince he'd do such things with officials, it isn't such a leap that he do it with schools. But, I have to wonder why you think he would retaliate.