Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 21, 2015, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
That's enough, no more.
*ha ha--are you saying you are tired of reading/venting about this thread topic -or-are you intending that you "agree" with the poster's remarks?

I've experienced 4 unique things about reffing adult "wreck' leagues: 1) since there is no 'coach' to serve as intermediary between refs and players to arbitrate issues--we must deal directly with the players--ergo--we must have a more or less "wider lattitude" in dealing with their gripes--as compared to an interscholastic event (which is purportedly supposed to be 'an extension of the classroom') wherein we refs can be strict regarding conduct. Now, bear in mind, that I must confess that I did serve up a "cup of T'' to an adult league player who dropped a very loud "GD-bomb" during a fit of disdain on a game that did on an Ash Wednesday evening.
2) in most cases, the players are a "legend in their own mind"--(i.e., their skills have irrecovably diminished and yet they think they are still quick and agile) when most of the time they are bumbling, stumbling, and hacking around--hence they are looking for a 'scapegoat' to 'transfer' their poor performance to---us refs are their first target.
3) It was not suprising that the league coordinator did not support you---they can be such sapps.
4) If it were me, I'd probably have left also---I mean, if there was a gang up fight then even that coordinator wouldn't intercede on your behalf sounds like.

At any rate I commend you for coping with it as long as you could--for a ref of your talent and experience level there are numerous other games/leagues for you to work in.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
1) since there is no 'coach' to serve as intermediary between refs and players to arbitrate issues--we must deal directly with the players--ergo--we must have a more or less "wider lattitude" in dealing with their gripes--as compared to an interscholastic event (which is purportedly supposed to be 'an extension of the classroom') wherein we refs can be strict regarding conduct. Now, bear in mind, that I must confess that I did serve up a "cup of T'' to an adult league player who dropped a very loud "GD-bomb" during a fit of disdain on a game that did on an Ash Wednesday evening.
Would this have been a T on Fat Tuesday too? Or on any other night of the year? Ash Wednesday shouldn't make a difference in how we call things. If it's a T on Ash Wednesday, it should be a T on any other Wednesday as well.

I agree that there is wider latitude given in rec league games, but there are still limits. Just make sure the players understand what those limits are, ESPECIALLY if they vary based on the holiday they may not even realize they are playing on.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 12:32pm
In Time Out

I agree Mregor.

There are going to be some players who are just Ars#$@. You keep them on a shorter leash or they will be jerks the whole way through. But I've learned to let things slide, and myself and most of the refs who have done a lot more of these games, learn to deal with it and it can actually be fun(sort of,when your not tired after doing 3 in a row). A lot of the players get to know you and we often talk and chat more than I would during high school games. I would never call a T for someone saying "Call it both ways", assuming it isn't shouting or showing me or my partner up.