The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 02:09pm
Veteran College Umpire

Ole Miss Steal Play

Did anyone else see the play in the Ole Miss game yesterday where the runner from 1st attempted to steal and the batter stepped in front of the catcher when he attempted the throw? The plate umpire called the interference. The 2nd base umpire hesitated and then rather mildly indicated the runner was out at 2nd as the ball trickled away from the 2nd baseman. It looked goofy, and there was no argument at 2nd base even though the ball got away. The batter had to be called back up to the plate because he thought HE was out on the interference.
The umpires did huddle up but there ultimately was no explanation as to why the stealing runner was out even though the ball rolled away. All I could figure was the runner was tagged out so the interference was ignored, and the ball was lost on the transfer after the play was over.
Anyone?

JJ
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 03:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
All I could figure was the runner was tagged out so the interference was ignored, and the ball was lost on the transfer after the play was over.
I didn't see the play. But if R1 and not the batter was ruled out, then that's the only way it could have happened.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Video?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
All I could figure was the runner was tagged out so the interference was ignored, and the ball was lost on the transfer after the play was over.
Anyone?
I had the same thought based on how it played out, sans umpires.

U2's lack of emphasis on the call was confusing. If I remember correctly, it was somewhat of a banger, and then you also had that he either dropped it or it was a transfer (I'll buy the transfer until I get another replay). That hesitation followed by a small and simple out was just odd.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2014, 01:11pm
In Time Out

Exclamation

I had nearly the same play @ Ole Miss when Donny Kessinger was coaching! Does that date me?