The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 04:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question "Play the miss"

A guy I worked with a few nights ago would say this on free throw attempts whenever the attempt could be the final one. I was taught not to say that, because it is a negative comment against the shooter. Do you guys agree?

Also, about 10 years ago, a partner told me during a game that saying, "Wait 'till it hits the rim", while very common and not negative, actually is somewhat inaccurate. Technically, (no pun intended) if the FT attempt hits the backboard first, the players on the lane can go in at that time. I've seen plenty of FTs that hit the backboard, don't hit the rim but go in the basket.

Oh yeah, the guy the other night told me he worked with a guy who said, "Wait 'till it hits that orange-y thingie".

Also oh yeah, I always just announce the number of shots without even saying "shot" or "shots", just the number. Exception - little guy or girl games. I always tell them to "Wait 'till it hits something". I guess that means they can go in if the shooter hits the wall.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I thought you were going somewhere completely different with this thread based on that title.....not sure why.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A guy I worked with a few nights ago would say this on free throw attempts whenever the attempt could be the final one. I was taught not to say that, because it is a negative comment against the shooter. Do you guys agree?

Also, about 10 years ago, a partner told me during a game that saying, "Wait 'till it hits the rim", while very common and not negative, actually is somewhat inaccurate. Technically, (no pun intended) if the FT attempt hits the backboard first, the players on the lane can go in at that time. I've seen plenty of FTs that hit the backboard, don't hit the rim but go in the basket.

Oh yeah, the guy the other night told me he worked with a guy who said, "Wait 'till it hits that orange-y thingie".

Also oh yeah, I always just announce the number of shots without even saying "shot" or "shots", just the number. Exception - little guy or girl games. I always tell them to "Wait 'till it hits something". I guess that means they can go in if the shooter hits the wall.

I only say the number "1" "2" or "3." That's it.

Only exception is during summer/AAU season when rules may be different. Then near the beginning of the game I may remind them whether or not it's on the "hit" or on the "release."
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 05:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

At the jr high and frosh levels, I will tell them "Wait 'til it hits." That seems to be well understood.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 05:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

Only exception is during summer/AAU season when rules may be different. Then near the beginning of the game I may remind them whether or not it's on the "hit" or on the "release."
I was always looking for something to keep the game moving along and I knew FT administration was an area that could bog a game down. Ended up going to a camp a few years ago and the instructor said that players should know at this level [HS] and showing 1, 2 or 3 fingers or the 1&1 while in the lane and vocalizing the number was all that was needed. He said to have your hand display the number of throws sideways so players on both sides of the lane could see how many. I have done it that way ever since. If they enter early, their bad.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
At the jr high and frosh levels, I will tell them "Wait 'til it hits." That seems to be well understood.
Agree....at those levels a little reminding is proactive, especially early on. I use "let it hit".

At JV & V I just give the number of FT's remaining, although sometimes I wonder - Tues. we had 5 FT violations in a JV boys game for a player on the lane going early....four of those by the team shooting.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 06:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

4th and 5th grade girls, I'll say "let it hit." Middle school and up, just the number.

As for the OP, I don't care if it sounds negative; that's not why I don't use it.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I've heard many reasons to not do things, but this really? Probably the weakest reason I've ever heard not to do a certain mechanics. Did whoever say that think we're gonna hurt the poor free throw shooter's feelings?

As for what I've been thought, just stating the number is sufficient. I might add "relax" if it's the 2nd of a 3 shot foul, but that's it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 06:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey Man, Chill, Don't Be So Uptight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I might add "relax" if it's the 2nd of a 3 shot foul, but that's it.
I usually don't talk to my partner while administering free throws.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 06:35pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 06:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This is how I was taught

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
and I keep the same for all levels and ages.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I might add "relax" if it's the 2nd of a 3 shot foul, but that's it.
I 've heard of a coach being upset over this phrase, along the lines of "Don't tell my players to relax- I want them focused all the time!".

I just say "one" or "two", or occasionally "three". No more, no less.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 07:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Don't worry about it guys" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
I've heard of a coach being upset over this phrase, along the lines of "Don't tell my players to relax, I want them focused all the time!".
Reminds me of something I overheard in a scrimmage last week. Player from Team A got wide open on a throwin under his own basket. Team B coach immediately took a time out to discuss missed assignments with two of his players. I happened to be standing several feet away from the Team B timeout huddle. After calmly criticizing the two players, the coach ended the huddle, and as they left the huddle, one of the Team B players, one of the ones who was not being criticized, tried to pick up the spirits of his two teammates by saying, "Don't worry about it guys". Team B coach immediately ripped into this player, "Yes, worry about it, we can't be missing defensive assignments", and this was not stated in a calm manner. I don't think that that kid will be doing something like that ever again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 07:57pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 07:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I 've heard of a coach being upset over this phrase, along the lines of "Don't tell my players to relax- I want them focused all the time!".
Coach should worry about his job, not your job. I tell them that and will continue to do so.

I also tell the player, "Let it hit." I do that so when I call a violation I can point back to what I said earlier.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 08:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I can't imagine caring about this. I don't say more than the numbers, but it has nothing to do with whether the coach might or might not be upset. Some coaches don't want you telling their players to get out of the lane or keep the "hands off" either.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

I knew of a sorta punky kid back in the 80's who would always tell the official "So what happens after I make it"? when an official said this